Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mist Trail/John Muir Trail

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mist Trail/John Muir Trail

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:57 pm

Author: Edward
Date: 03-29-04 14:03

Hello,

I am heading to Yosemite for Easter weekend (April 9-11)

I have been told that the Mist Trail is closed for Winter. Does anyone know when it reopens?

I wanted to do the hike to the top of Vernal and Nevada Falls. I was hoping to take the Mist Trail up and the John Muir trail down. If the Mist Trail is closed is there any other alternate route?

If yes, does it make the hike longer?

Any info would be appreciated!

Edward

Re: Mist Trail/John Muir Trail
Author: George
Date: 03-29-04 22:42

I did the hike to the top of Vernal Falls on 3/24. The falls are booming and beautiful. The Mist trail was closed, so you hike up the Muir trail quite high above Vernal, then take a connector trail down to the top of Vernal. I have never been on this connector trail before, and can tell you that there are excellent long-distance views of both falls from it. The upper part of the Muir trail was closed, so to get to Nevada falls you cross the River on a footbridge above Silver Apron and do a tedious stretch of switchbacking up to the top. The Silver Apron was particularly dramatic, and a high waterwheel was going in the middle. Be careful-I guarantee you will perish if you slip in any part of the river this time of the year. I do not know when they open the Mist trail (probably soon) or the upper part of the Muir Trail (usually later), but these trails are spectacular no matter how you do it.

Author: Edward
Date: 03-30-04 01:43

George,

Thanks for your insightful response.

Is this route much longer than the Mist Trail/John Muir loop?

Also, is it difficult to find/follow the connector trail you mentioned?

What/where is Silver Apron? Is that the upper part of the Mist Trail?

Also is there any snow or distant snow scenery from these trails?

Thanks again!

Edward

Author: George
Date: 03-30-04 08:03

The mileages are not important-elevation change is the key: you will be hiking up 2000 ft no matter how you cut it. Get yourself a 7 1/2 minute topo map of the valley to get oriented, and a good guidebook to prepare for your visit. I have just read the Lonely Planet Guide to Yosemite, which is basic, new, covers the whole park and is good. The Silver Apron is a water slide above the Vernal Falls. It is a great place for a picnic. The trails are all well marked. I suspect the Mist trail will be open by Easter. It is a steep stairway that gets splashed with mist from the falls-you will need raingear. And if it is open, it is a must. These trails are the most heavily used of any in the United States, so you will have plenty of company. People still get lost, but things are very well marked. I recommend the trail to the top of Yosemite Falls if you have time for two good hikes-it is twice as strenuous, but well worth the climb-even if you go halfway up beyond Columbia Rock to get a good view of the upper Yosemite Fall. Spring is the best time for Yosemite. And if you have time for a third hike, I recommend you walk the Redwoods in Mariposa Grove.

Author: Brian
Date: 04-17-04 21:28

I was just up on the mist trail over easter break 4/9/04 and it was beautiful. This was my first time up the trail and I only made it to Nevada Falls. I will go again this summer trying to hike Half Dome. Still I brought plastic garbage bags to cover myself on the mist trail because it is still cold in the morning hours.

Author: jon tommey
Date: 12-14-04 08:24

mist trail is a must seee you have to see mist trail if you are in yosemite
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite