Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Should I go now due to fires/smoke??

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Should I go now due to fires/smoke??

Postby Misskool » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:54 am

I have planned a trip to Yosemite Sat, Sept 9 until Tues Sept 12. I see that the air quality is bad right now due to fires, so I am thinking of postponing the trip. Is it worth it to make the trip up there right now? Is it even enjoyable to be there right now? I am also concerned about the air quality because I have mild asthma and severe eczema. Can someone please steer me in the right direction?

I am also wondering if they will refund our reservation at Curry Village.

Thanks!!
Misskool
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Should I go now due to fires/smoke??

Postby WanderingJim » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:08 pm

I was there for labor day weekend. While there was a smokey haze in the air and the smell of smoke in some spots, it wasn't bad or all the time where I was (in the wilderness around the Ten lakes area).

No idea how it was in the valley (could be bad if the smoke gets trapped in the valley and can't blow away).

Don't expect to do anything south of the valley, but if you can spend more time along the Tioga Road, it probably won't be too bad.

Think the cancellation policy is 7 days for Curry Village. but you can call them and find out.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby robow8 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:54 pm

We were in the Valley, at Half Dome village, for Labor Day. It was smoky, but not terrible. Some days were better than others. We took particulate masks to use if needed, and my asthmatic son used his a few times.
The worst part was that Glacier Point road and the 41 were closed, so we couldn't go up to Glacier Point, and had to take the 140 into the park.
I say go for it!
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby robow8 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:57 pm

This is the kind of mask you want: https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-3-Pack-Fibe ... ks/4754370

Make sure it has the N95 on the nose piece.
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Phil » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Go for it. Webcams are looking better, the rain and humidity should be tamping down the fires and smoke, and even though the current 24 hour particulate counts are still above 35, they're dropping significantly, as well as the 1 hour readings clustering lower. 30% chance of rain over the weekend, with winds 5-10 mph, gusting as high as 15-20 throughout your stay. Air quality alerts are only in effect until the afternoon of Friday 09/08. Limit your exertion if you need to. Worse case scenario, get out of the Valley and head up to Tuolumne. Be happy you weren't there the last couple days. And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

https://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/ ... nes_pm.cfm

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/photosmu ... ebcams.htm
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby JenSaito » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:49 am

I believe that there is no danger visiting Yosemite as you have planned. However, bringing a mask with you is actually a good idea.
JenSaito

Return to Visiting Yosemite