Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yosemite from SF, late Nov, not possible by rental car?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Yosemite from SF, late Nov, not possible by rental car?

Postby harrykane140693 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 am

Hi,

If we do not want to stay at a Mariposa and take the YARTS into Yosemite, and if we do not want to take the train-bus from SF into Yosemite, and since we are not allowed to take a rental car from SF into Yosemite because chains are forbidden to be used on rental cars and even if we were to rent a 4WD or AWD, we are expected to bring chains along and since it is afterall a rental car, we cannot use chains, does this mean, the only way is to take a coach like from Extranomical or Incredible Adventures?

Reviews on Extra driving are very extreme, and Inc Ad is overbudget, this means, I may have to skip Yosemite this winter.

Am I missing another way to get there?

Please advise, thank you.
harrykane140693

Re: Yosemite from SF, late Nov, not possible by rental car?

Postby dan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:36 am

In Winter, it's not possible to take a rental car into Yosemite. It is foolish to go without chains. You can buy chains for your rental car, but that's violating your rental agreement.

In Winter, many roads are closed. So you cannot go there in any case by car.

You can take the YARTS bus to Yosemite Valley. There are free shuttle busses to Badger Pass Ski Area from the Valley in Winter.

I believe Greyhound and Amtrak run busses to Yosemite Valley too, but you have to check on that for winter.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite