Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Pro people. Serious Help! 2 days in Yosemite. August.

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Pro people. Serious Help! 2 days in Yosemite. August.

Postby pantaca » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:26 am

I need help and tips for my two days in Yosemite. I dont know if I have enough time or how to avoid peaks of traffic hours or tourist crowds. Tanks for the help.
My trip starts from Mono Lake.

// DAY 1 // Thursday August 23.
- 7:30 am Tioga Road.
- Tuolumne Meadows. Hike to Lembert Dome maybe. Better options?
- 10:00 Tenaya Lake. Swim a little.
- 11:30 Olmsted Point
- Lunch a sandwich somewhere.
Now i dont know if we have enough time to do next thing or will be traffic problems on Thursday August:
- Yosemite Tunnel View
- Glacier Point.
- Washburn Point
- Maybe Sunset at Taft Point.
- Dinner a sandwich. Maybe.
- Go to sleep Evergreen Lodge at the north. We already booked. Its 1:35 min far away. So far?

// DAY 2 // Friday August 24
- 8:30 am Visit the Valley. Leaving the car somewhere and using the shuttle. (Any parking recomendation?)
- Valley view
- Lower Yosemite Fall
- Mist Trail or other nice hike :)
- Bridalveil Fall
- Lunch sandwich somewhere
Drive to:
- Mariposa Grove late afternoon.
I would like to avoid some tourist crowds. no problem to loose a less spectacular thing in summer (like some dry waterfall). I have other lodge option at Fish Camp. White Chief Mountain Lodge. Better location?
Other plan options i thought is: DAY 1: Only Tuolumne Meadows. DAY 2: Very early. Visit the Valley. Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point. And if it is possible Mariposa Grove for late afternoon.
Crazy Plan? hehehe.

Thanks so so much for local people or travellers help.
Big travell addict hugs :)
pantaca

Re: Pro people. Serious Help! 2 days in Yosemite. August.

Postby dan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:24 am

You are doing a lot of driving on slow mountain roads. I would visit Tuolumne Meadows and Tuolumne Grove (Giant Sequoias) the first day. Then the next day visit Yosemite Valley.

You do not have time to see Mariposa Grove or Glacier Point without a lot of driving.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:10 am

You'll also want to keep an eye on the Ferguson Fire, which is causing a lot of smoke in the area right now. Unless something changes it will continue to burn until then. It's closing roads as well as having a huge impact on air quality.

As Dan said, that's a lot of driving around. Yosemite valley in particular is prone to traffic jams. Getting where you want to go very early in the morning can help a lot. The day use parking near Yosemite Village is where they want you to be, and it's fine for starting a shuttle ride.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:00 am

Traffic, distances between, fires, whatever...your itinerary is way too packed up and pretty much unrealistic. For example, just in drive time under perfect conditions from Mono Lake, Tioga Rd, down to the valley, then up to Glacier Point, and finding parking for all of them, you've already burned up most of an entire day right there, and you aren't going anywhere but crowded tourist destinations. As another example, this time just hiking (or in your case, running), you're not going up and down Lembert Dome in an hour, Bridalveil Falls, maybe an hour, round trip, same with Lower Yosemite Falls, forget the four-mile in less than half a day-ish for most people. Mist Trail somewhere in the middle of everything else?....ahahahahahaha..with a teleporter, sure. Temper your expectations or give it another two days.

Take your two days, slow way down, fit in what you can in a realistic amount of time and actually take the time to enjoy it. For two days, spend the first up and around Tuolumne Meadows. Spend the second down in the valley and up at Glacier Point. Oh, and on any given day during summer, just to park at GP, plan for an hour + to even do the last mile into the parking lot.

Driving for an hour, hiking for another, then 3 minutes to enjoy the view, eat a snack, and take a selfie is no way to do it at all.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby pantaca » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks A LOT for your responses guys. Very very helpful. That what i needed. A realistic shower. :D
I will slow down my expectations and enjoy the park. First day Tuolumne Meadows and Tioga Rd and second the Valley and if we have time Mariposa.
Very friendly thanks you I will not do any crazy.
;)
pantaca

Return to Visiting Yosemite