Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

UK to Yosemite, there 4 days in October and need camping Kit

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

UK to Yosemite, there 4 days in October and need camping Kit

Postby yosemitetrip19 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:59 pm

I'm planning a trip to Yosemite in the middle of October this year. Me and my girlfriend are massive fans
of camping and would normally have all the gear covered. However, we are flying from the UK into
San Francisco then driving into Yosemite to try and get the last day on the dome with the cables up :D 15/16th I'm told.
We will have with us what kit we can fit into our hold luggage but would like to keep out large luggage light and our carry on the same...
so we were investigating our options state side.

Any advice, help or indication on a good way of getting Tent, sleeping bags/matts, cook house gear would
be greatly received.

We have a current workable plan but would like options.
yosemitetrip19

Re: UK to Yosemite, there 4 days in October and need camping

Postby AlmostThere » Sun May 05, 2019 3:08 pm

Rent from online vendors like lowergear.com

Also, you will need to get a permit, and the competition for Half Dome will be fierce - but there are better views in the park anyway, like Clouds Rest or North Dome. So if you don't manage to obtain the magic slip of paper there are plenty of worthwhile and far less crowded places to go.

Hopefully you are able to reserve yourself a campsite...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby yosemitetrip19 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:37 am

AlmostThere wrote:Rent from online vendors like lowergear.com

Also, you will need to get a permit, and the competition for Half Dome will be fierce - but there are better views in the park anyway, like Clouds Rest or North Dome. So if you don't manage to obtain the magic slip of paper there are plenty of worthwhile and far less crowded places to go.

Hopefully you are able to reserve yourself a campsite...

Is this still the case even at the end of the season?
yosemitetrip19

Postby Phil » Mon May 06, 2019 5:57 am

yosemitetrip19 wrote:Is this still the case even at the end of the season?

Yes. Half Dome's permitting requirements are from day-1 until the final day of the season. Wilderness permits for backpacking are required year-round, with self-permitting only in the winter months. The rangers do and will cite you for improper or no permit, and with Half Dome, they will generally be stationed en-route and turn you around just below the cables.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby yosemitetrip19 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:00 am

Phil wrote:
yosemitetrip19 wrote:Is this still the case even at the end of the season?

Yes. Half Dome's permitting requirements are from day-1 until the final day of the season. Wilderness permits for backpacking are required year-round, with self-permitting only in the winter months. The rangers do and will cite you for improper or no permit, and with Half Dome, they will generally be stationed en-route and turn you around just below the cables.

Ah yes I think you've misunderstood what I've said because I wasn't clear, I know there are permits required throughout the season I have every intention of getting one. What I meant was that the website related the permits for the Half dome says that the number of requests around that time of year is lower so most people who apply get their permit.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermitsapps.htm
yosemitetrip19

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 07, 2019 11:53 am

The crowds in Yosemite have been on the upswing over the past couple of years. I would not place any bets on getting a permit while the cables are up. I do not drive anywhere in the valley floor during the day in summer if it can be helped, as I hate sitting in lines of cars for hours and hours and HoUrS, and hOuRs, and HOURS, and that's generally been the case when I dare to show up after 9 am. Around the end of September, that starts to taper off but it's still too damn busy for my sanity. My favorite time to go is dead on winter, now, when you can hike the trail to Nevada Falls without rude tourists elbowing you off the steps.

More and more, the things like Half Dome are the last place I want to be. Not at all wilderness any more when there are too many people in line to do it.

If I were flying from anywhere, I would have all the reservations nailed down, or be really low in my expectations, and happy if things work out the way I hope they do.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed May 08, 2019 12:41 am

.......and HOURS.......

"Middle of October"...the cables are generally coming down right around that time (correct I believe, 15/16th-ish), so track that anticipated date carefully. As AT said, Half Dome is massively impacted. Small windows may offer a better chance for a permit, but it goes and seldom slows down until the end. The better view, higher elevation, as well as arguably more fulfilling hike is, Cloud's Rest, accessed from the Sunrise Trailhead up on Tioga Rd.

October's weather can also start to become unstable. Watch that too. Little summer "kit" can turn into the need for serious late fall/early winter kit very quickly and almost unpredictably.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite