Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

What is the air quality in Tuolumne Meadows?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

What is the air quality in Tuolumne Meadows?

Postby Duane » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:33 pm

I snagged a permit for this weekend starting Sunday the 27th. I notice that Yosemite Valley's air is much better now than it was. However, my purpose of visiting Yosemite is a trail run along the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows. I checked the air quality in both Bishop and Mammoth Lakes, and I'm seeing unhealthy values for breathing, let alone running.

Based on Mammoth Lakes' air quality, would switching my plans to Yosemite Valley be a healthier option? Thanks for any helpful info.!
Duane
Regular
Regular

Re: What is the air quality in Tuolumne Meadows?

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:58 pm

The pattern when I was out backpacking at the very start of this was, haze in the morning, followed by increasingly dense layers of smoke coming down into the valleys. So we were trying to do miles before noon, and slowed way down and wore masks in the afternoon.

I would expect smoke to vary a lot - there are webcams in the Valley to look at if you want to analyze the patterns of smoke density there. Always look at the dates as sometimes the display shot is an old picture. Some cams are live, others update a few times a day.

http://www.sierracamnetwork.com/viewcam ... te-valley/
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite