Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Decent places to eat in El Portal or Mariposa?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Decent places to eat in El Portal or Mariposa?

Postby baseline bum » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:00 am

I'll be staying in El Portal next month, but it doesn't look like I have too many breakfast / dinner options there (the restaurants at the two inns and the grocery store). What's decent and not expensive in Mariposa? (aside from Burger King)

Also, since food looks pretty expensive and of pretty low quality in El Portal (from what I have read online), am I better off just eating in the park? How do the places in the park compare both price-wise and quality-wise to the two restaurants in El Portal?

I have no experience whatsoever when it comes to food in and around the park, since I have only camped and brought my own food in when I have been to Yosemite in the past. However, this trip is with family and they aren't into the tents and hiker meals.

Thanks.
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Re: Decent places to eat in El Portal or Mariposa?

Postby dan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:15 pm

My favorite is Salvador's Mexican Restaurant in downtown Mariposa. There's several restaurants on the main street (Highway 140) that are good if you don't like Mexican food. Just park downtown and walk around and look at the menus.

El Portal doesn't have anything good. Too small. Not worth driving to.

I like the Pizza in Curry Village. I also like the Pasta Bar in the Yosemite Lodge Food Court (cafeteria). The Mountain Room Restaurant is overpriced. The Ahwahnee Bar has good food, and it's not expensive as the Ahwahnee Restaurant (but not cheap either). The Curry cafeteria is no good (it's all you can eat, so lower quality than the Yosemite Lodge Food Court). Curry Cafeteria is good for kids though--cheap and bland.
Last edited by dan on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby baseline bum » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks for the heads-up.
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Food in and Around

Postby King Of Yosemite » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:50 am

So I have been living in this area for a while, and there are not a lot of great eating options in the park or around it, but that is not the reason you come to Yosemite.

If you have the money I would say go to the Ahwahnee. The food is awesome, but the prices are just as out of this world as the bill.

If you are on the east side and a little light on cash but still want some good food, during the summer there is really good food at the mobile, and the Tioga Pass Resort.

If you are on your way out of the park, Savoure is a wonderfully priced little restuarant in Mariposa. The prices are very reasonable and food quality and portions are nothing slight of perfection!

If you are looking for a great Mountain Dinner experience there is also happy burger in Mariposa, it is a little pricy for what you get but I really enjoy the food and the atomosphere is pretty cool.
As far as restuarants in El Portal, good luck, you would be better eating in the valley.
King Of Yosemite

Postby QITNL » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:38 pm

QITNL
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Wickett » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:26 pm

Dan, thanks for the info on Salvadors. It was great! I think we will be stopping there a lot.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:39 am

QITNL wrote:some good info here

I have to completely disagree with that thread's assessment of the Loft pizza. I've been eating it for years and it is one of the best pizzas I eat all year.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Erich1B » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:42 am

dan wrote:The Curry cafeteria is no good (it's all you can eat, so lower quality than the Yosemite Lodge Food Court). Curry Cafeteria is good for kids though--cheap and bland.

Pehaps my experience with Army food in the early 80's set the bar so low that I personally didn't find Curry Cafeteria that bad. It certainly wasn't the best I've ever had, but not the worst either - JMHO.

Erich
Erich1B
Regular
Regular

Postby Wickett » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:37 pm

I like stopping at Happy Burger in Mariposa, if I am not in the mood for mexican at Salvador's that is.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:44 pm

Erich1B wrote:
dan wrote:The Curry cafeteria is no good (it's all you can eat, so lower quality than the Yosemite Lodge Food Court). Curry Cafeteria is good for kids though--cheap and bland.

Pehaps my experience with Army food in the early 80's set the bar so low that I personally didn't find Curry Cafeteria that bad. It certainly wasn't the best I've ever had, but not the worst either - JMHO.

Erich
I agree, it's not that bad. A bit pricey, but decent food.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Oakhurst - Todd's BBQ! or Pizza Factory. Or the Mexican place right at 49/41 intersection.

Mariposa - the Red Fox, Happy Burger, Pizza Factory.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite