Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Enough water to float Merced next week?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Enough water to float Merced next week?

Postby jimqpublic » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:35 am

According to one website they suggest the Merced needs 200 cubic feet per second for good rafting. Today it's at 75 and dropping.

Is there much point in trying to float down the river in my raft, or are we better just playing in the deep water around Stoneman Bridge? We'll be there Sunday-Wednesday.

Driving out last Saturday it seemed a lot of people were floating in tubes in the lower end of the valley, past the official Sentinel Beach raft take-out. Is the river deeper there?

Jim
jimqpublic

Postby jpcal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:35 am

I heard they closed the raft rental on the river about 2 weeks ago.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby jimqpublic » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:58 pm

jpcal wrote:I heard they closed the raft rental on the river about 2 weeks ago.

Correct, the rentals are closed. I have my own raft. I don't mind portaging over a few shallow spots but don't really aim to hike the whole way!
jimqpublic

Return to Visiting Yosemite