Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

JMT next year

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

JMT next year

Postby JimmyJMT » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi all,

First time posting. I have a 6 week sabbatical from work next year and want to hike the JMT in its entierty within a 3 week timeframe. I have been looking around online and have been consulating the local REI reps on suggestions for type of gear etc. and I think I am set there.

The only confusion on my part and I'm not sure why I can't wrap my head around it is the permit issue. I know I will need a wilderness permit with an exit in the Whitney zone, but I have not found the earliest dates I can apply for a permit. I plan on doing this mid to late June.

I plan on departing from The valley into little yosemite for the first night, but I have heard that this is a difficult spot to get a permit from. I want to do the traditional route North to South and wanted to know if anyone had advice on best trail head to depart from even if I have to leave from Tuolumen.

Any other advice on hiking the trai lwould be greatly appreciated especially around food.

Thanks!
JimmyJMT

Return to Visiting Yosemite