Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Horsetail Falls

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Horsetail Falls

Postby Grzldvt » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:57 am

I have to tell you I actually liked the reservation system. It took a bit to learn the tricks, but I got it figured out.
I went in 3 times in the last two weeks to see Horsetail Falls light up.
The first time was Feb 10 and the park was empty, I had lunch across from Yosemite Falls by the Church and I was the only car parked there for at least 45 minutes.
Went to park at the lodge for the walk to see Horsetail Falls and literally I saw 6 cars in a 3/4 mile walk. The fall lighting up was a total bust due to cloud cover.
I decided I would go back the following Wednesday before my day pass expired. A pantload more people and reasonably crowded, but nowhere near as bad as having it wide open like normal years. Nonetheless I was in the Lodge lot by 3:30 and it was full. I snagged a tiny spot by sheer luck.
The fall was barely flowing and I decided to get a more direct look at it. Clouds came in and the rock lit for a bit but I was in to a direct position to really capture it.
I had already snagged a day reservation for Feb 24th. The park was busy but nowhere near the crowds I had to deal with on the 17th.
This time I parked in the Lodge lot at 3:30PM and had my choice of spots. Several people asked me if I knew where to go. I said follow me and after investigating several view points we had a full blown winner of a spot. Clear sky, just enough off to the side, to really see the fall light up.

Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite