Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

How to install snow chains...

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

How to install snow chains...

Postby hotrod4x5 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:36 pm

I know it is almost summer, but people will come to this forum for advice about getting around in the snow in Yosemite in a few months, and I just read the thread asking about driving in winter, so I decided to share my experience with installing chains.

They really are easy to install, if you know how to do it. And there is no need to lay on the ground or even get wet if you are careful.

Carefully lay them out in front of your car or rear if you have rear wheel drive, spacing them equally on each side of the tire, and then drive onto them halfway. You need to make sure your tires are lined up right in the middle. Then drape each end up and over the tire. Connect the rear links, this is easier on front wheel drive if you turn the steering wheel to one side or the other. You can do this while squatting, no need to get down on the wet ground. Then hook the front clips. Now drive about 15 feet and see if you can tighten them, you probably will be able to get one more link. Attach the chain tensioners are you are done.

Cables can be done the same way. Never get wet again installing chains!
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite