Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

black ice

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

black ice

Postby _Gabe_ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm thinking of making a trip this coming weekend and normally go via the 140 entrance. Has anyone ever experience black ice on this road? Snow doesn't scare me as much as black ice.

Thanks.
_Gabe_
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: black ice

Postby dan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:20 pm

_Gabe_ wrote:I'm thinking of making a trip this coming weekend and normally go via the 140 entrance. Has anyone ever experience black ice on this road? Snow doesn't scare me as much as black ice.

I've seen black ice on 140 many times. Usually in the morning in the Merced River canyon west of El Portal before the sun got on it.

I would either arrive in the mid-day or afternoon. Or drive slow (and pull over at turnouts). Assume anything that's wet looking is ice.

That said, 140 is the safest and lowest of the routes in Winter.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite