Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yosemite Valley snow

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Yosemite Valley snow

Postby _Gabe_ » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Hello, I'm trying to determine if there is enough snow in Yosemite Valley for a day trip with the kids. Based on the webcams I can see there is some but not sure if all this warmer weather has packed it down.
_Gabe_
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Yosemite Valley snow

Postby dan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:37 pm

The Yosemite Valley floor is only 4000'. There's often snow on the shady (south) side of the valley, but unless it snowed recently it may be crusty and hard.

For snow play, people often head to Crane Flat, which is at the junction of the Big Oak Flat Road and the closed-in-winter Tioga Road (Highway 120), north of Yosemite Valley but still in the park. No place to warm up indoors, but they have a restroom in a parking lot next to where the Tioga Road is closed for winter.

There's also limited snow play at Badger Pass Ski Area (inner tube rentals and slide area) and a warm lodge.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite