Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Late April visit

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Late April visit

Postby DrPascal » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Hello guys,

I'm planning a visit to Yosemite with some friends during the very last days of April. We'll be coming all the way from France so we don't really know what to expect.
My main concern is about the weather, I read that snow chains are mandatory at that time of the year, can you guys confirm that ?
We'll rent a car for the first time (probably in LA), maybe some of you have done that before and might tell us if we'll have to buy chains or if we can rent some ?

Thanks,
Pascal
DrPascal
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Late April visit

Postby dan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:55 pm

Nobody rents chains. Nobody takes chains in return. All sales are final.

Rental car companies prohibit chains on their cars. Some may rent cars with snow tires.

Consider taking the low road into yosemite valley, hwy 140. Consider buying cheaper snow cables.

It is unlikely to snow late April but it could happen.

I know the rules. Carry chains.

Dan
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Late April visit

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:08 am

Yup, rental cars might not even allow the cables, but I'd carry them. Rangers check for 'em. They turned a friend around threatening him with a fine.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite