Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

5 day winter hike

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

5 day winter hike

Postby atenbrin » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm trying to plan a 4-5 day winter hike sometime before or after the new year.
I don't have a ton of experience in winter backpacking, but I have done a few 5-7 trips to Iceland at the end of the season.
I'm looking for suggestions for trails open in the winter that are moderate to difficult that don't require snowshoes that don't require climbing (obviously).
I'll be using my Hillegberg Jannu tent and plan on bringing my own food. Any suggestions?
atenbrin
First-timer
First-timer

Re: 5 day winter hike

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:00 pm

If the snow this year is at normal levels, there will be no trails. You need to be able to navigate without trails in winter for backcountry trips in the Sierra in a normal snow year.

You'll also need to use a bear canister as that requirement does not go away in winter. Some of the black bears are active all winter.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite