Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Best hikes in February (Winter)

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Best hikes in February (Winter)

Postby haydenmtaylor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Myself and 3 other friends will be in Yosemite early February and are looking at the most ideal and scenic trails to hike. I'd love to hear everyones suggestions and experiences.
Also I've heard the Glacier Point hike from Badger Pass is lengthy and difficult with the short winter days. Is there any quicker alternative route to get to Glacier Point (maybe by the 4 Mile Trail?)

Thanks!

Hayden
haydenmtaylor
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Best hikes in February (Winter)

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:58 am

Right now, Yosemite is under ice and snow. "Hiking" from Badger to Glacier Point is not possible in a single day -- you would need skis to get there, on the road which is groomed for cross country skiing. The 4 mile trail is closed due to ice on the uppermost mile of the trail.

Regardless of where you go, you should probably have Yaktrax or snowshoes depending on what you're walking on. The valley floor has a lot of pavement which can be icy. Winter gear will be needed, particularly if you're camping you'll need nice warm clothes and sleeping gear. You'll have to put chains or cables in the car and know how to use them. Storms are still rolling through and dropping snow.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite