Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hike idea - Next week

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hike idea - Next week

Postby calicanes » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:59 pm

First time I am visiting in the winter and staying in the valley - any suggestions for hikes or snowshoe ?

I have AllTrails app but not sure if trail conditions
calicanes

Re: Hike idea - Next week

Postby WanderingJim » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:03 pm

You're not going to find any snow in the valley, so Badger pass is your best bet.

They just announced that the trails leading out of Badger Pass are still in good condition and they will be open for 2 more weeks.

Basically, Dewey Point is a good day hike via snowshoes in Winter.

Glacier Point is an overnight trek (maybe 2 by snowshoes).

Hetch Hetchy may have some snowy trails, but I don't know the conditions off hand.

Old Big Oak Flat trailhead may still have snow, but it's a long snowshoe trek to get to El Captain via that route. Not sure if it could be done in a day.

I doubt the north rim has much snow left (it's south facing so melts first).
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Stepo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:46 am

We will visit yosemite next week from Yosemite bug resort.
First day is 11.4 (whole day), 12.4 (whole day) 13.4 we drive to SF.
Can somebody give me some tips:
- which trails are open and in your opinion a must see Trail
- is it neccessary to go with snow boots or just with normal shoes? What is more expierience?

For all who have been there, how would u plan the two days?
Stepo
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:55 am

First, visit the Yosemite official website for current conditions.
The trails in the valley floor are likely getting a tiny boost of snow, however, I would pack regular hiking boots to walk around in there. The trails that climb out of the valley floor will have varying amounts of snow or ice and will be clearly marked as closed if there are dangerous conditions on them.
All of them are must-see trails... take your pick.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:35 am

You may need microspikes or some kind of traction devices if you want to hike up any of the trails that climb out of the valley. Inside the valley, you should be fine with regular boots and some warm clothing.

The trails to Vernal and Nevada falls are a good hike, even in winter, but you do need some traction devices if there's ice on the trails (and there probably still is).

If you have snowshoes or xcountry skis, a day trip out to Dewey Point from Badger Pass is a good thing to do.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite