Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Are snowshoes essential??

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Are snowshoes essential??

Postby xcorat » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi, I was thinking of hiking on snow this winter. I hiked up to little lakes on snow (and camped) with regular hiking boots and it was not that bad (Also I actually had no trail to follow on snow and that it was new snow.)

So now I am going to on another hike and was wondering If i really need snow shoes, or if I can just use my regular boots to hike on snow.

plz help.
xcorat
Regular
Regular

Postby TomD » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:31 am

One word, Yes. Snowshoes are an essential tool for winter in the Sierra. If you don't know what you need, the backcountry in winter is no time to be experimenting without learning first what to take and how to use it.

Winter camping can be dangerous. You just joined TLB-go back through the winter forum archives and the backcountry safety forum for examples of what happens to the unprepared in winter. The short answer is they either get rescued or die. Happens every year.

I suggest getting some books on winter backpacking. Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book is a good one to start. Ignore the skiing part; much of it is about winter camping.
Don't get me started, you know how I get.
TomD
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Winter in Yosemite