Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mariposa Grove in early Spring

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mariposa Grove in early Spring

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:30 pm

Author: Troy Turner (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: 11-15-05 06:08

Hi,

I will be visiting Yosemite in Late march early April, could anyone let me know if mariposa grove will be open ( will i have to walk etc etc distance and where do i park )....

Also will Valley view be open? are most areas open to walk?

Could anyone tell me the best place to park and walk from to get to these places..........

Any help would be great

Re: Mariposa grove
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 11-15-05 09:47

The parking lot is usually still closed in March or April. It usually opens up in May, depending on snow. The parking lot stays open until November, depending on snow also.

When the Mariposa Grove Parking lot is closed, you could park at the South Entrance station to the park. That's 3 extra miles one way. Add to that 1 mile to the lower grove (one way), with the Grizzly Giant and California Tree, and 2 miles (one way) to the upper grove (with the cabin/museum and fallen Wawona Tunnel Tree.

In Summer a tram runs from the Wawona parking lot to the lower and upper Wawona Groves. However, in Winter, it's not running and the Wawona parking lot is closed (as I mentioned above).

For maps of the Wawona area, see
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/wawona_maps.html

If by "Valley view" you mean Glacier Point, that usually doesn't open until May or June (when the Glacier Point road opens). You can cross-country ski out there from Badger Pass Ski Area though.

If by "Valley view" you mean Inspiration Point (on Highway 41), it's open year around.

In March and April the best place to visit is the Valley. It's not crowded yet with Summer crowds and the high country is mostly closed and snowed-in.

Date: 11-15-05 17:23

hi

what i mean by valley view is the classic ansel adams shot clearing winter storms but from the meadow down below,

http://virtualguidebooks.com/CentralCal ... pring.html

if you look here you can see where i mean............

will this area be accesible during early april?

thanks for the help so far

Yosemite Valley in spring
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 11-15-05 21:51

I don't have the plugin to see it, but from the description and other websites, it seems to be at an open area between El Capitan and Bridalveil Falls. There's a good view of both and the Valley east to Half Dome from there.

Yosemite Valley roads are open year around, except the eastern parts of the Valley, which is closed to automobils year around (but you can walk or bike there).

The roads open to traffic are plowed and accessible year around.

Date: 11-16-05 05:50

thanks Dan for your help mate.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite