Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Winemasters weekend at Tenaya Lodge

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Winemasters weekend at Tenaya Lodge

Postby balzaccom » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:13 am

I'll be speaking at this conference...but free in the mornings for adventure. We love hiking and have snowshoes...so we are planning to visit Mariposa Grove for a day. Any other suggestions for a 3-7 mile hike in the snow? This is at the south end of the Park
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Winemasters weekend at Tenaya Lodge

Postby dan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Spend another day at the Grove. It's the best place there. See the lookout there. Explore the trail there instead of the road from the parking lot.

You can look for the tree Galen Clark planted in Wawona. It's at the north-west end of the golf course, about 50 feet from the edge of the Green. Look for the only Giant Sequoia there.

See Chiluahua(sp) Falls. Probably not much to see this time of year.

Walk on the round that goes around a large meadow southwest of Wawona and the Golf Course (on the west side of the road). Several miles.

Take the old road from Mariposa Grove back to Wawona. Best for a car shuttle. It parallels the highway (more or less) east of the highway. It's on some maps.

Basically, I think Mariposa Grove is the best thing there and worth exploring.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks Dan--those were all on our list, and I really appreciate the confirmation!
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:36 am

Here's a link to the Picasa photos:

Mariposa Grove was nice---well traveled trail to the Grizzly Giant, then we went off on snowshoes for a few miles after that.

The next day we left Tenaya Lodge on the logging road behind their property--Jackson/Sand Lake, I think. Stunning day, great walk, wonderful adventure. Even better than MG.

Finally, on Sunday, we hiked up to the top of Chilnualna Falls. It was pretty snowy up there, and we stopped about 100 yards short of the falls, because we were just not sure it was safe, and we didn't have ropes or axes. But a great, great hike.

Photos are all here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/Wawona2009#
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:15 am

Nice. Thanks for sharing all your photos.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite