Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Landslide on March 8

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Landslide on March 8

Postby astralknight » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:50 pm

> on March 8, 2009, around 8 pm, I was standing by El Cap meadow, with an almost full moon illuminating the snow of Yosemite Valley... I chose this time to propose to my girlfriend and give her an engagement ring... She said yes... and then there was a loud crack noise coming from the distance... a second later... there was another,, and then another...
> Having lived in Yosemite area for 14 years, I was familiar with the sound of either a landslide or an avalanche. But this one seemed to go on for too long... so we jump in the car and took off...
> The next few days I expected to see something in the paper about a massive landslide... but nothing except the story of the March 28th landslide... Is there any record of anyone seeing or hearing a landslide or avalanche on the evening of March 8, 2009?
astralknight

Postby Wickett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:08 am

I was there that same week and the ice was really active. Didn't hear of or see any rockslides though.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby astralknight » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:14 am

ok... so must've been some very loud Ice... with multiple loud crackin' noises...
astralknight

Postby Wickett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:58 pm

I heard a lot of ice cracking and falling behind Curry Village at night while I was in my tent during that time.

On a different note I just went and checked out the landslide that happened on the 28th, it is pretty impressive. There was a small one in the same spot while we were on our way out to it.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby astralknight » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:14 am

I heard a similar singular crack like that while at mirror lake, I looked up and saw an avalanche coming from half dome... that was several years ago. An awesome noise and sight...
astralknight

Postby harryjone » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:05 pm

u have an experience how to tackle situation during landslides...........i'm collecting data regarding this.................so, could u help me out?
harryjone

Return to Winter in Yosemite