Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Is it safe to hike and camp alone in Yosemite in Winter?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Is it safe to hike and camp alone in Yosemite in Winter?

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:06 pm

Author: Fred (---.leepfrog.com)
Date: 01-10-02 06:02

Is it safe to hike and camp *alone* in Yosemite?

I will be near the park for a business trip in February and would like to take a couple days to hike and camp.

Bears are my main concern. I have read all the articles about staying on trails, making noise and using bear canisters, but I still don't know how great a risk it is (and I can't get a hold of a park ranger). Any info you have would be very helpful.

I would also like to know what the trail conditions are like in mid-February. Will I need to rent snowshoes? What are good winter trails to hike? I have found a lot of info about hiking in summer and skiing in winter, but nothing on hiking in winter.

Thanks!
Fred

Re: Is it safe to hike and camp alone in Yosemite?
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 01-10-02 10:46

It's safe to hike and camp alone as far as bears are concerned. Of course if you get hurt, it's harder to get help.

Bears are dangerous and are to be avoided. However, they don't attack you--they steal your food. At least Yosemite Bears, which are Black Bears. The Brown Bears in Alaska, for example, are another matter.

Most trails above 6000 or 7000 feet are snow covered and you need snow shoes. The trails are the same as summer. You can buy the book Snowshoe Trails of Yosemite. If you hike at lower elevations, that is Yosemite Valley, around the Wawona Big Trees or Hetch Hetchy, you're usually out of the snow.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite