Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Great conditions, but will welcome winter.

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Great conditions, but will welcome winter.

Postby bronsonh » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:00 am

I took a trip into the high sierras this past weekend, and could not believe how agreeable the weather was. On my approach up Matterhorn Peak I had to stop not because of the uphill battle I waged upon the sub-par climbing conditions, but to cool off. As I stood there in the transition of the seasons, I could not help wishing I had done more backpacking/climbing this past spring and summer, and I longed to be checking Tioga Road conditions for openings, not closures. Also, I did not know how long the current warm conditions would last, but my gut told winter was coming round the corner. Suddenly, I felt a urgency to summit and descend, as to hasten my Season-Finale-Sierra-Traverse over Tioga Pass with enough daylight to assimilate the entire drive to the Valley Floor; and I thought of all the notions which have driven me to climb faster over the years, this was one of the best. It proved to be a mighty motivator, as I made it back with enough time time to shower off, loiter in El Cap Meadow for a bit, and experience the classic Half Dome sunset with a rare juxtaposed near-full moonrise, ascending quarter dome.

It was difficult driving home on Sunday, knowing all I wanted to do was spend every day until the next real storm system rolled through exploring the park. That night as I was uploading my photographs from the the weekend, I stumbled across a shot I took skiing last winter out to Glacier Point. It was the perfect cure for the end of season blues, humbly reminding me that every season in Yosemite should be appreciated to its greatest extent, and never dreaded.

Below is the link to the picture referenced above. I unfortunately know nearly nothing of photography besides pointing and shooting, and would love any constructive criticism.
Last edited by bronsonh on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bronsonh

Postby bronsonh » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:14 am

Below is the link to the picture referenced above.

I apparently cannot put a URL up because I am new to the forum. If you are interested to find the picture replace the "dot"s with an actual .

binthewild"dot"webs"dot"com/YNP%202-09.jpg

[Mod: link is dead in any case]

sorry for the inconvenience, I will edit in 6 days when I can put a url in. Moderators I am not putting spam, so clear me if you can! Thanks.
bronsonh

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:57 am

It's a beautiful shot of Starr King and part of the Clark Range.

How about a picture from the top of Matterhorn?!?

(or better yet a shot from Horse Creek Pass... which I assume is the
way you went. ???)

by the way ... nearly all the snow which fell about 3 weeks ago has
melted...
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bronsonh » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:45 pm

Thank you, it was well worth the trek out there.

Unfortunately I did not have a chance to charge my camera before I left on Friday, and my battery died on the approach up. The last shot I got was right before split from the trail to Horse Creek Pass to get to the base of Matterhorn Glacier. I went up the East Couloir and descended the southeast slope.

Here is my last photo (same instructions to view as above) - binthewild"dot"webs"dot"com/lastphoto.jpg

[Mod: link is also dead]

As you can see the snow was not all nearly gone, and this made the approach more difficult due to the limited and melting snow pack.
bronsonh

Return to Winter in Yosemite