Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

3 nights in Yosemite

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

3 nights in Yosemite

Postby buiman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:36 pm

Hello,
I have been to yosemite during the winter 2 years ago. Then I hiked up to upper yosemite falls and cross country skied to Dewey Point.

This year, we are back and would like to do other new things. Maybe snowshoeing?

What are you favorite hikes during the winter? or your fav trail to go cross country skiing?
buiman
First-timer
First-timer

Postby Hikin Mike » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:19 pm

I've snowshoed to Dewey Point and camped at Crocker Point as a backpacking trip years ago. I've always wanted to snowshoe to Glacier Point, but I'm not able to do it now.

If you get enough snow, Wawona Point can be a nice little day trip.
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: 3 nights in Yosemite

Postby dan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:27 pm

You can snowshoe from Badger Pass. Probably the best option. Rent from the XC Ski center (I think--check this in advance) or reserve a spot on the mid-day ranger snowshoe walk.

I hiked up to Little Yosemite Valley in winter before. That's using the (safer) John Muir Trail (high route) in low snow years. Some years, it's blocked by snow.

An adventurous option is to hike up Snow Creek Trail and down the Yosemite Falls Trail. It's an all day trip if you're in shape (overnight if you're not in shape--turn back if you're going too slow).

I just like walking the east-east trail that heads along the south side of Yosemite Valley. Start by the Chapel or Camp Curry and head to Bridalveil.

From Inspiration Point (aka Tunnel View), hike up the Old Inspiration Point trail to Old Inspiration Point. Very forested, under used trail. If the snow level is low, you could hike all the way to Dewey Point and back. I did it one winter. If the snow level is high, you'll have problems finding the trail on the rim.

Hike the Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias. Start at the trailhead near where the Tioga Road is closed (at Crane Flat). It's an old road, now closed, and walkable. It' skiable sometimes if the snow is fresh.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jenny123 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:31 am

I have never been there in the winter, but I can imagine that it is quite terrible when it is so cold. I am very sensitive concerning coldness, my place always has to be warm.
jenny123

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:42 am

jenny123 wrote:I have never been there in the winter, but I can imagine that it is quite terrible when it is so cold. I am very sensitive concerning coldness, my place always has to be warm.
On the contrary, winter in Yosemite is anything but terrible. It is a magical experience to wake up to a fresh snow fall in the valley. Snow clings to all the cliffs and trees. The meadows are painted white and when the sun rises, icicles sparkle. If you have never been in Winter, you are missing out.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite