Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Camp 4 busy in February?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Camp 4 busy in February?

Postby rchris » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Coming to the park in a couple weeks for the first time, and I am wondering how hard it will be to get a spot in Camp 4. (Fills by 9am? Fills by noon? Doesn't fill?) We are happy to sleep in a tent on the snow and carry our gear on our backs. We have a reservation under a roof as a backup, but I'd rather save some money and camp out.

All help is appreciated.

Chris
rchris

Postby syndony » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Camp4 is really not hard to get into. I drove out there a couple of years ago and camp4 was full. We stayed a night in housekeeping for 30 bucks an then got up at the crack of morning and got a spot at camp4.
syndony

Thanks!

Postby rchris » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:06 pm

We were already in the valley when you posted your reply! Not knowing what to expect, we planned on staying under a roof.

For what it is worth, the volunteer we spoke with at the visitor center said that in the winter Camp 4 only fills up on holiday weekends and there are always empty campsites somewhere in the park this time of year. It sounds like you can always throw a tent in the car and head for the park in February and be ok.

That said, it was cold and rainy, which is the worst time to be in a tent. If there is precip, 20 degrees is always better than 40 degrees.
rchris

Return to Winter in Yosemite