Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

2 nights to backpack to Cloud's Rest

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

2 nights to backpack to Cloud's Rest

Postby levyj414 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:51 am

Before I get into my questions, I want to thank Phil, Almostthere, and Balzaccomm. You probably don't remember me, but you've all helped me for annual trips with my daughter to Yosemite starting in 2020 (cancelled because of fire), 2021 (day hikes), and 2022 (Ten Lakes).

I'm about to put in for the lottery that closes tomorrow night (I know I'm a little late posting this!), for July 14. Our target is sleeping on the approach to CR. It'll be my daughter and me. coming from where she lives in SF. We're both experienced backpackers on trails. She's 25 and I'm 55, and we know to take it easy. I think of myself as a mule - I go slowly uphill, but I get there, even at elevation. Last year, it took me about 5 hours to go from Ten Lakes TH to Ten Lakes Pass after one night at White Wolf. It took me about an hour to climb back out of the basin to the pass on our way out two days later, though.

She'll be able to stay out 2 or 3 nights, and I'd love to get her to Cathedral Lakes, too - that was where I went on my first trip to Yosemite, which was in 1988. If I knew for sure she could stay out 3 nights, I'd start from the Cathedral Lakes TH. But with the uncertainty, we'll start from Sunrise Lakes TH.

Here's my current thinking:
7/13: drive out, pick up permit, camp at White Wolf backpackers camp.
7/14: Sunrise Lakes TH to camp at Sunrise Lakes (not the HSC).
7/15: Sunrise Lakes to the flat spot I've read about on the trail north of CR. I know we'll need to haul enough water up there to get back down the next day. Maybe if it's a short day, set up camp, then go up to the summit for dinner and sunset?
7/16: Either up to the summit, lounge around, then back to camp to pack out to Sunrise Lakes TH, or just laze around camp and then hike out and drive back to SF.

If she ends up able to spend a 3rd night, we'll go back to White Wolf backpackers camp, then day hike to Cathedral Lakes on 7/17 and drive back to SF.

So I'll apply for a couple different entry days at Sunrise, plus Cathedral Lakes and then a few other options I have from the options I figured out last year. I won't waste any of the 8 lottery options I can list ...

Questions (useful even after the lottery closes tomorrow night!):
1) Do those sound like reasonable days? Too short? We're good at relaxing - last year, we spent an entire day sitting, reading, and swimming in one lake.
2) Given the incredible amount of precip in CA recently, is there any chance there'll still be snow on CR?
3) How far from the CR summit is the last guaranteed water to fill up on the way up/replenish on the way down?
4) Might mosquitoes be bad in those areas? Ten Lakes was gloriously bug-free in September last year, and I'm not excited about being eaten alive. I'm hoping maybe the lack of water near CR might mean fewer bugs?
5) How far from the summit is that camping spot?
5) If we do get that third night, is there a better way to get in both CR and Cathedral Lakes from either Sunrise or Cathedral TH?

And if you think I'm way off base on anything, I'm wide open to other suggestions. :)

Thanks again!
levyj414
Regular
Regular

Re: 2 nights to backpack to Cloud's Rest

Postby balzaccom » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:53 am

Hi Levy

I thoink your trip sounds reasonable, but I would do it differently. rather than camp between Sunrise and Clouds Rest, I would just base camp at Sunrise, and then day hike to Clouds Rest. That would eliminiate your concerns about finding water along the route (the HSC does have filtered water, so that's a plus.)

And this would also avoid hoisting a pack more than you have to. And you can enjoy Sunrise as much as you want. I doubt there will be much snow in mid-July, but it's still too early to make any real predictions about that. We're set to get another storm this weekend, and who know what the rest of the year will bring? If we get lots of heat, the snow will be gone, If we get more snow, no so much.

On the other hand, I can pretty much guarantee that you will have mosquitoes in July. Camp away from water, high on a ridge in a breeze, and you can reduce the impact. And take along headnets--the cheapest $4 you'll ever spend. Mosquitoes are just part of the experience. We've learned to live with them.

For three nights in this area, I would take a cross country cut-off ot hte JMT and explore the area of Cathedral Lakes more---to the west there are wonderful views down into Tenaya Lake, a dome to climb, and you can always head up the ridge towards Echo Peaks and get even better views. All worthwhile day hikes.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby levyj414 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:30 am

Thanks!

Good info to have.

I put in my lottery entry, shooting for Sunrise, Cathedral, and Young Lakes from both trailheads (I'm tempted to to do the cross-country to Young Lakes via Glen Aulin, but figured I'd save that for another time, or the longer loop including Roosevelt Lake). Another random factor is whether two friends will join us, so I alternated 4 and 2 person permits.

Whatever we get, I know it'll be fantastic. :)
levyj414
Regular
Regular

Postby levyj414 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:03 pm

We got Young Lakes via Dog Lake …
levyj414
Regular
Regular

Postby balzaccom » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:22 am

It's a great trip. If you have a hankering for some off trail work, head up to climb Conness, or hike over to see Roosevelt Lake. Both worth the trouble!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby levyj414 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:26 am

Yep, thanks!
levyj414
Regular
Regular

Postby settlerinse » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:22 am

Yes. The trip is fantastic. word wipe