Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yosemite in Thanksgiving; North Dome

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Yosemite in Thanksgiving; North Dome

Postby dan » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:08 pm

Yosemite in Thanksgiving
Author: A Dewan (---.hanszen.rice.edu)
Date: 10-10-02 19:33

Any suggestions for great hikes in Yosemite in November? Planning a trip to Yosemite over Thanksgiving break. Are most trails already closed at this time? Any good vistas open this time of year? Is Cloud's Trail accessible? Is there even enough snow for snowshoeing at this time?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

THANKS!

Re: Yosemite in Thanksgiving
Author: Mike (---.dsl.sktn01.pacbell.net)
Date: 10-11-02 08:15

The only way you'll get to Clouds Rest would be from the valley that time of year. I doubt there will be any snow that early.

You could visit Vernal and Nevada Falls. I wouldn't overlook Wawona. There are some nice hikes (Chilnualna Falls) there too.

Have fun,

Mike
The Backcountry

Date: 10-11-02 09:30

Thanks Mike

Date: 10-11-02 09:45

Any thoughts on North Dome? Is that a better overnighter?

Can one spend the night at Cloud's Rest?

And do I need to get a permit to camp at Cloud's Rest or North Dome?

Author: Dan Anderson (---.ca.us)
Date: 10-11-02 12:14

The north rim of the Valley gets more sun and is warmer than the south rim. However, that just means it will probably be free of snow. It will be COLD (lows in the 20s or 30s F).
You can easily hike up from the Valley via Mirror Lake and the Snow Creek trail.

Cloud's Rest is a LONG WAY UP. There is little water along the way.

You can spend the night at either place, but you need a wilderness permit. It won't be a problem that time of year. Get one from the Valley Visitor Center (during Summer you get it from the Wilderness Center).

North Dome
Date: 10-11-02 15:03

I just spent last Saturday on North Dome. We came in from Tioga Road. The hike from the valley will be longer and harder, but feasable.

Wasn't crowded at all, there was only another couple up there. Walked up to the top of the dome at night and watched the stars above and the valley below. Really cool. We had a 1 mile hike (1 way) just to get water though. By Thanksgiving, there could be more water in the seasonal streams.

Yes, you will need a permit which you can get at Yosemite Valley and of course the bear cannister.

I should have pictures of the trip posted soon.

Mike
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Backpacking near North Dome

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:59 pm

Backpacking near North Dome
Author: Greg Chen (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 04-28-01 15:56

My wife and I are considering doing a backpacking trip in Mid-april 2001 from Yosemite Valley out the Snow Creek river
trail up to North Dome and the top of Yosemite Falls (it's about 20 miles up and down). Has anyone done that hike
during the early spring, when snow is still on the ground? Any thoughts about safety and trail-finding on that north rim of the valley
when there's still snow on ground? thanks

Re: Backpacking near North Dome
Author: Dan Anderson (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 04-28-01 15:57

Some snow may be on the ground, especially in the shaded areas in the Snow Creek drainage east of North Dome.

The Snow Creek trail up to the rim is almost always clear as is the area between North Dome and Yosemite Falls. Remember this is the North Rim and it receives a lot of sun from the south.

Also this year (2001) is a relatively dry year with less snowfall than usual.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

North Dome

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:55 am

Author: yosemitegirl (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: 07-10-05 19:20

I have done Half Dome and Sentinal Dome but would like to experience hiking North Dome to get the incredible view of Half Dome. What is the best trail route to the top of North Dome and what is the best time of year?

Thank you!

Re: North Dome
Date: 07-10-05 19:34

One more question: How many miles is it from Yosemite Valley (campgrounds near the falls) up to North Dome via the Yosemite Falls trail? Thanks!

Date: 07-12-05 12:45

I would start from Tioga Road and hike down to it. Here's my overnight trip from a few years ago...
North Dome

-Mike

Date: 07-13-05 18:33

Mike.. thanks for sharing your pics! They are great! That hike looks like a really good scenic hike... and also the best kept secret. It doesn't seem as popular as some of the others... such as Half Dome, what a zoo! :)

Thanks again!

Author: lostinthewoods (---.bak.res.rr.com)
Date: 11-11-06 23:21

i just went about a month ago, and the views are everything you imagined. i started sat. afternoon and got to north dome about 2 hours b4 sunset. oh the purple mountains majesty. started early sun. and came out yosemite falls afternoonish. i started from tenaya cyn. right now in tuolumne its winter cond. and no over night parking so unless you hitch a ride starting from the valley is you best bet.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking