Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Advice on hiking boots

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Everyone's Different

Postby KC » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:27 pm

I go with what everyone else says. Buy whatever you think will work best. Wear it around a bit. Take it back and try something else (especially if purchased at REI) if you're not happy.

For me, I like to wear boots because I need something a little more solid than light hikers. But, I went through many brands until I found Asolos. Now I wear them pretty much exclusively.

Whatever is most comfortable for you is what is best.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:24 am

if you plan on doing off-trail hiking, boots are a good choice. they protect your ankles from scraping against rocks. also, less detritus gets in.

in the early season, a higher waterproof boot makes the puddle jumping easier.

hi-tek outlet in oakdale has some decent boots for cheap, never a problem with blisters straight out of the box, if you need to get some boots on the way up.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

boots

Postby rick56 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:09 am

I own a pair of High Techs which I like although they are kind of heavy. Has anyone here ever tried the nylon desert combat boot for backpacking? Being that I'm a soldier I have several pair with the Vibram soles. Unlike my older black leather boots, they required no breakin and were comfortable from day one. I added padded inserts. Sure I'd love to buy new shoes, but since I already own boots designed for warfare why should I spend money on fancy cute trail running shoes? Just asking.
rick56
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:16 pm

If the boots work, go for it.

If they don't, the fancy cute running shoes probably will work - but not all of them.

Fit is entirely unique - I can wear one pair of Merrells but another model of the same brand can pinch, or rub, or chafe. Your feet should have shoes that don't blister, rub, or pinch, that protect the bottoms of your feet from whatever roots and rocks you walk on.

The fancy cute running shoes work absolutely awesome for me, where a full boot bruises the h#!! out of my ankles and blister me up good. You only fall for the lies that you need a full on boot once...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:23 am

@rick: the thing about the army boots, if they're worn down at the heel you'll want new boots. that goes for any boots. if your knee, hip, or back starts to hurt, 90% chance its because of a worn out bootheel.

i usually go through a couple pair a season hiking on granite, which is why i like the hi-teks, they're cheap, especially if you get them around memorial day or labor day when they run a sale.

i tend to buy less from REI, cause their prices are a bit jacked up to accomodate all those people who use it like an equipment library: buy stuff, use it, return it. the burning man crowd are the most flagrant abusers of REI return policy. (don't ever lend gear to a burner, the playa dust destroys everything.) anyway, i guess i got off topic there.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Marmot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:04 pm

i use hi-tek, they are fantastic boots.
Marmot
Regular
Regular

Re: Advice on hiking boots

Postby rick56 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:44 am

HyTeks are good, I've owned three pairs. I went with Columbias which are lighter.
rick56
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby FloridaTrekker » Sat May 28, 2011 3:14 pm

The key is what fits your feet as many have said before and what you're comfortable with wearing for the conditions. I hike/backpack mainly in Florida, its obviously hot and humid, but believe it or not I have a pair of Scarpa Barun GTX's. Full leather and Gore tex with vibram soles. I wear them even when its over 90 with a liner sock and wool hiking socks. For me these are comfortable, strong, safe from scrapes and I thoroughly enjoy them. The heat does not bother my feet. I will be using them for our Yosemite trip this summer.
FloridaTrekker

Postby aishaly092 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:14 pm

Hey there,

I'm also looking for hiking shoe advice. Actually last year I went for trekking and my shoes got fully punctured. And now I'm also planning to go for trekking with friends and someone adviced me to wear hiking shoes for trekking but I don't have any idea about hiking shoes. Please suggest me it is good or not and if yes then where can I get. Please help me with the best, I never want to repeat last year's mistake.
Thanks!
aishaly092

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 pm

aishaly092 wrote:Hey there,

I'm also looking for hiking shoe advice. Actually last year I went for trekking and my shoes got fully punctured. And now I'm also planning to go for trekking with friends and someone adviced me to wear hiking shoes for trekking but I don't have any idea about hiking shoes. Please suggest me it is good or not and if yes then where can I get. Please help me with the best, I never want to repeat last year's mistake.
Thanks!

As most of the thread will tell you - fit, fit, fit is the ticket, and it's an individual thing, what fits you best. What fits me won't work for you. Go to the stores with hiking boots - there are lots of stores, REI, Red Wing, etc - and start trying on shoes and boots.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:57 pm

I would suggest that if the soles of your boots got punctured last time, you should look at something with a Vibram sole. Inexpensive boots often have softer, less rigid soles, and those can get punctured more easily.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking