Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Best two day hike in Yosemite

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Best two day hike in Yosemite

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:53 pm

Author: phil jackson (65.122.25.---)
Date: 01-13-03 11:54

heading to the park in may and have my wife's permission for a two-day overnight hike. i'm an experienced hiker and in good shape.

if i never get to go again, what route should i take to maximize the experience? i just want to cut to the chase...

thanks.

Author: karl dupre' (---.nash01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: 01-13-03 19:48

I hiked in the park late last may.We were stymied by extensive snow fields whenever we got much over 9000'.We had a wonderful time regardless.A nice 25 mi. hike is from glacier point to echo valley then return to the valley via the high trail.the 25 mi .includes a 4 mi. side trip up halfdome which will probably be open by then.We hiked these trails last may.We encountered no significant snow and the scenery was stunning.Good luck but it's all beautiful.
raging acadienne

Re: best hike
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 01-14-03 09:53

My pick would be to start out from the Tioga Road and head into Yosemite Valley. I would start at Tenaya Lake or Tuolumne Meadows and head down Little Yosemite Valley. You get both a taste of the high country and of the rock walls and domes.

If you have extra time, head over Cloud's Rest and maybe head up Half Dome.

If you don't have time, take the low trail into Little Yosemite Valley.

If you are really short of time, take the trail from Olmsted Point down the Snow Creek Trail to Mirror Lake/Meadow. That only takes one day though.

Whatever you do, avoid the Little Yosemite Valley Backpacker's Campground at all costs. It's a zoo--crowded, very loud at night, and lots of bears. A friend of mine said no self-respecting backpacker would go there. I have, but I avoid it. There's nicer spots up the trail and near water.

Remember, there's a bus that starts out from Yosemite Lodge each morning and heads to Tuolumne Meadows. They will drop you off along the road anywhere it's safe (pull-offs). Great deal--no worry about car shuttling.

Get a wilderness permit and buy or rent a bear canister to hold your food.

There's a backpacker's campground in the valley for walk-in campers who have wilderness permits. It's north of the Pines Campgrounds. It's convenient, but quite loud (lots of hyperactive, loud kids with clueless parents).

Author: Rick (---.ce.ftel.net)
Date: 04-19-03 22:16

My pick would be to start out from the Tioga Road and head into Yosemite Valley. I would start at Tenaya Lake or Tuolumne Meadows and head down Little Yosemite Valley. You get both a taste of the high country and of the rock walls and domes.

If the trip is in early May the Tioga Road will probably not be open. The trails might have a bit more snow than one would like too.

--
http://yosemitenews.info

Author: Dave Leslie (---.mug134.dtrt.sflmi01r1.dsl.att.net)
Date: 04-21-03 17:55

I don't think the shuttle is open until June. At least it wasn't last year. I could be wrong though. If you have two nights I'd take Tuolumne to Glen Aulin. Hope on the Tuolumne Caynon trail and spend the first night at the Virginia Creek Fork. ( You can stay at Glen Aulin the first night but it'll take 12 hours to get to Pate the next day) Cross the bridge and follow the river to Pate Valley for night 2. Hike out the valley to Hardens lake and White Wolf and catch the Shuttle back to Tuolumne. The Lodge at White Wolf sells Beer. It's a great incentive.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking