Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Fly/bus to eastern Yosemite shuttle for 5-day backpack

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Fly/bus to eastern Yosemite shuttle for 5-day backpack

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:56 pm

Author: Chris George (---.vianet.ca)
Date: 05-07-02 07:04

Hi there. I'm a Canadian who is not that familiar with California. I'm looking to do a 5 day hike in September. I am hoping to enter through the east entrance at Tioga pass. Wondering which city I should fly to, and which town to bus to, in order to enter the park this way?

Any help is appreciated.

Chris

Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 05-07-02 09:39

I would fly into Reno, Nevada and take the Reno - Mammoth shuttle from http://www.mammothsierratransportation.com/. They run a van shuttle to and from Reno on Highway 395. Don't go all the way to Mammoth, but stop at Lee Vining.

From Lee Vining take the daily YARTS bus to Yosemite Valley. Get off anywhere you like for your hike or backpack.

You will need a wilderness permit and rent a bear canister if you are backpacking in the park.

Greyhound Bus used to run a bus up and down Highway 395, but not anymore.

For a overview map, see yosemite.ca.us/lodging.html.

Author: Chris George (---.vianet.ca)
Date: 05-07-02 11:01

Thanks so much for the info. We are thinking of going in September, how will the crowds be?

I have gotten the trip itinerary from the latest issue of National Geographic Adventure.

Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 05-07-02 12:10

Anytime after Labor Day (first Monday in September) is fine.
The crowds disappear after Labor Day and it's still warm enough n September.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking