Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne backpack

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne backpack

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:00 am

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne
Author: Errol Lloyd (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 04-28-01 15:53

We are considering taking two days to go from Pate Valley
to Glen Aulin. Anyone have any experience with this hike,
and any thoughts?

Particular question: are there good camping sites roughly
half way from Pate Valley to Glen Aulin? We need a large
area since we are a group of 12.

Thanks.

Re: Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne
Author: Rob Wurgler (66.122.21.---)
Date: 09-10-01 13:05

I'd recommend giving yourself 3 days to do that route, it's all uphill from Pate Valley. Or try doing it from the other direction. Even so, it would be a LONG 2 days.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby JeffK » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:55 pm

Ancient thread, but I was just out there, so for the possible benefit of someone else: Even going downhill, it's a grueling 2-day hike from Glen Aulin to Pate Valley over many stone-step trails, so coming up you'll be pretty beat. Going down to Pate Valley is most of a day down some serious switchbacks, so figure 3 days minimum to go from White Wolf to Glen Aulin or Tuolumne Meadows. There's a really nice camp site right by the Return Creek bridge, it's technically illegal but impacted already - there are more good spots up the hill a bit from the main site. This site is huge, we were very comfy with 9 people. There's another good (technically illegal but impacted) site farther up just above Waterwheel Falls. I didn't see much else along the way, there are plenty of sites in Pate Valley but not much between there and Return Creek.
JeffK

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking