Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Re: Hiking Southern Yosemite

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:19 am

Hiking Southern Yosemite
Author: Mark Schneider (65.213.63.---)
Date: 11-04-02 14:31

I am trying to plan a 4-5 day backpacking trip next July/August to the Southern part of the Park. The proposed route is a figure of eight. Starting Bridalval Creek campground to Ostrander Lake then overland to the Buena Vista trail and circle around to Royal Arch lake, Crescent Lake, and then back through Chilnualna creek and lake and out to the Glacier Point Road through Mono meadow. Any other ideas?. I am a pretty good hiker. Did May Lake, Sunrise camp, Cloud's Rest and Half Dome this past summer. Thanks for all your help.

Author: Mike (---.dsl.sktn01.pacbell.net)
Date: 11-05-02 08:55

That sounds like a great route. I haven't done it, but it sounds do-able. I think the southern part of Yosemite is one of the park's hidden treasures!

I had planned a 3-day, semi-loop from Chilnualna Falls, Crescent Lake, Royal Arch Lake etc. this past Memorial weekend, but only made it to Chilnualna Falls (long story). I plan to try again next year.

Have a great hike!

Mike
The Backcountry

Author: Karl Dupre' (---.nash01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: 02-02-03 18:34

My son and I will hike from tuolumne to glacier pt. in late august '03.We will go vogelsang to high trail over the upper merced,across the lyell fork of the merced,through red peak pass and on to glacier point.the southern 2/3 of this trip passes over some of the more remote and beautiful trails in the park and through the highest mountain pass in the park(red peak pass).It passes between cathedral range with mts. florence and lyell to your east and the clark range with mt clark and red and merced peaks to your west.You can make a 50 mi. loop from glacier pt. up the merced and then take the same trail in. A similar lengthed trail would start the same as the one you have planned but from royal arch lake you head to fernandez pass then post peak pass to red peak pass and on to mono meadow or glacier pt.It all depends on what you want.It's all good.Happy hiking.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking