Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Confused about the best backpack trail to take in Yosemite

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Confused about the best backpack trail to take in Yosemite

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:41 am

Author: Suman Ramasundaram (---.ch2m.com)
Date: 04-22-03 08:55

I am going to Yosemite for the first time with a group of 6. We are looking for a 3 day/2 nights backpacking trip during june 6th. We were wondering what is the best trail to take considering the Half-Dome looks full. Toulomne Medows looked great, but we are scared of the weather at the higher altitudes. Again, Wawona looked fine, but we couldn't figure out a camp ground and what could be done after Chinualna falls.

Please advice since I am so confused!

Re: Confused about the best trail
Author: Dan Anderson (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 04-22-03 21:39

Chilnualna Falls is a dayhike--too close for a backpack.

Half-dome is busy (it's never full--there's room for everyone on top) and you can't camp on the dome (but you can camp nearby).

For early season I recommend the low country north of Hetch Hetchy Resevoir. There's a few trails heading north from Hetch Hetchy. The trail starts over the dam, follows the resevoir and heads into uncrowded backcountry.

I also recommend the area between the North Rim of Yosemite Valley and Tioga Road. You can backpack in and have views of the Valley.

Re: Confused about the best trail
Author: Mike (---.018.popsite.net)
Date: 04-24-03 22:17

Like Dan said, you can always camp close to Half Dome...something I've always wanted to do.

Don't rule out Chilnualna Falls. I planned a three day trip in that area last year but due to curcumstances beyond my control, had to cut it short. We camped just past Chilnualna Falls.

This Memorial Day weekend I'm heading back there to "complete" my trip from last year. I'm doing a semi-loop going past the falls, Royal Arch Lake, Buenna Vista Lake and back down past the falls.

-Mike
The Backcountry
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking