Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

hiking the yosemite valley rim (southern, I think)

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

hiking the yosemite valley rim (southern, I think)

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:23 am

Author: andrew (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: 08-11-04 01:06

maybe this is a long shot, but several years ago I did a backcountry overnighter in Yosemite. I remember most vividly camping right on the rim of the valley, overlooking all the campfires below. I *think* it was the southern rim, and we didn't hike more than 10 miles in (probably closer to 7). The early part of the trailhead was pretty steep switchbacks, and then flattened out once we got to the rim. My buddy did all the planning, and he's forgotten now. Any ideas?

Re: hiking the valley rim (southern, I think)
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 08-11-04 09:24

I think you went up Snow Creek Trail from Mirror Lake (North Rim). You can see the campgrounds from there.

If you went up the Glacier Point Four Mile Trail (South Rim), you'll readh Glacier Point, the road, snack stand, and hoards of people. Also backpacking isn't allowed on the South Rim (except in Winter).

You could have went up the Inspiration Point Trail at the west side of the Valley, but you can't see campgrounds from there.

YOu could have gon up the Yosemite Falls Trail, but I think you'd remember that.

Author: Andrew (---.gnf.org)
Date: 08-11-04 10:33

Thanks for the thoughts Dan. On poking around a bit more though, I *think* we might have been on the Pohono Trail between Glacier Point and the Wowona Tunnel. But I'm pretty sure we did an out-and-back starting at the Wawona Tunnel, which I'm thinking now is the wrong way to do it. This time, I think we'll take the shuttle up to Glacier point (el 7200') and hike down to the valley (el 4600'). Saves us the work going up those killer switchbacks to get up the side of the valley.

In case anyone else is interested in this hike, I found this link:
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-parks-569592- ... kpacking-i

Author: John (---.stkn.dialup.ws)
Date: 11-02-04 22:07

Andrew...In Re : hiking down the trail from Glacier Point...Not too hard a trek...I remember doing it about 1948, AFTER we had hiked it up from the floor...4-H pepuls, ya know...I have also ridden down the trail, obviously horseback, and realized that, after 4 days on the trail from Merced, we had unfortunately lucked out with a mare that had come into season, and back about 2 switchbacks, we had a stallion that had recieved all of natures signals to that happenstance...When walking the trail, either way, please consider the rider who had been presented with a stallion that had decided the quickest way to resolve his pressing problem was to proceed directly (read, vertically) downwards...All in all, we managed to get to the bottom of the trail and present awards the next day...All hands and all animals present and accounted for...Somewhat busy in the middle of the trail, however...True story...John
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking