Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

north rim yosemite valley trail

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

north rim yosemite valley trail

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:28 am

Author: Cindi (---.rb.lax.centurytel.net)
Date: 05-27-05 11:32

We are planning our first trip to Yosemite the last week in August and want to do a 3 day backpacking hike. Which hike would be more worthwhile, the North Rim Trail---taking in El Captain, Eagle Peak, North Dome and coming out at Mirror Lake---- or hiking from Tenya Lake to Clouds Rest, Half Dome, coming out at stop 16 in the valley.
Will there be water at that time of year in the creeks?

Cindi

Re: north rim trail
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 05-27-05 14:58

I think either will be good. However, the
Tenaya Lake/Clouds Rest/Half Dome will have a lot more varied scenery, from subalpine, to granite monsters, to forest, and you'll see Little Yosemite Valley and the falls. Take the Mist Trail down if you're sure footed, it's cooling and very green, but watch your step.

In August, the top of El Cap is pretty warm, dusty, and dry. The creeks will have water, but not much. Although Yosemite Falls appears to dry up, there's always a trickle of water coming down. Plenty to drink in Yosemite Creek. Most of the other creeks will have water too, at least the creeks shown on the map as solid blue, not dashed-blue lines. The advantage of North Rim is you get great views of Half Dome and Clouds Rest. Clouds Rest is not so dramatic close up, although its fun to go up it.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Mirror Lake-North Dome- Yosemite Falls

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:34 am

Author: Ken (63.87.39.---)
Date: 04-21-06 13:24

Has anyone hiked Mirror Lake - North Dome - Yosemite Falls- Valley route? I am just wondering the difficulty of this trail. I figure 3 days 2 nights would be enough to enjoy the scenery. Thanks.

Re: Mirror Lake-North Dome- Yosemite Falls
Date: 04-21-06 14:53

I've hiked all of it at various times. The hike up the Falls Trail or Snow Creek is a killer. There's lots of switchbacks, but it's a lot of up. Once you're up there, it's just rolling hills along the rim. No more than 500-1000 feet up at a time.

Friends of mine did it in one day, but they didn't come back until after dark and were pooped. Two nights is more reasonable. If you're going to North Dome (highly recommended), also see Natural Arch, a delicate granite arch, a mile or so north of North Dome.

I recommend hiking down Snow Creek instead of up it, because then you get to have Half Dome in your face on the way down, and Yosemite Falls in your face (part way) on the way up the Falls trail.

Author: Ken (63.87.39.---)
Date: 04-26-06 12:46

Thanks for your recommendation Dan. When you mentioned "killer" you kinda got me worried. I have a couple of guys going with me and it's their first time overnight hiking. Is it like the switchbacks going up Half Dome? Thanks again.

Date: 04-26-06 13:10

It's not like the switchbacks on the side of half-dome (on the granite). It's also half the elevation gain (2500' or 3000' or so, instead of the 5000' or 6000' total up for Half Dome.

The problem isn't the switchbacks, but that there's a few thousand feet of uphill.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

hiking mirror lake snow creek

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:57 am

Author: steven (---.dsl.austtx.swbell.net)
Date: 06-27-04 21:46

Would someone tell me how long it would take to get to snow creek from the trailhead or how long to get past the 4 mile zone for wilderness camping?

Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share from hiking to snow creek-north dome-yosemite falls?

Thanks in advance,
Steven

Re: hiking mirror lake snow creek
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 06-28-04 09:20

Probably 4-5 hours, including the hike up Snow Creek Trail.

Don't miss the view from North Dome, and the natural arch near the top of the ridge just northwest of North Dome (not on all maps, but it's on the Wilderness Press topo map).

I like camping near Yosemite Falls--it's fun to cool off in Yosemite Creek. Avoid on weekends as it gets crowded though (or at least get a campsite before Friday).
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking