Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Late Spring Hetch Hetchy Backpack

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Late Spring Hetch Hetchy Backpack

Postby pshea » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:27 pm

Looking at a mid May along the north shore of Hetch Hetchy to Pleasant Valley and back along the southside of Hetch Hetchy via Smith Meadow. How doable is this in the second to third week of May? Another question, flying in from out of state are the places to rent backpacking stoves in the area considering airline regulations?
pshea

Re: Late Spring Hetch Hetchy Backpack

Postby dan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:49 pm

Hetch Hetchy Loop You'll be find the south side to Pate Valley and on the north side to Rancheria Mountain mostly clear most years. Rancheria Mountain is usually snow bound in May, as is Pleasant Valley. In a normal year it's clear by June. In a light snow year, it's clear by May.

The way it's looking so far, it's a light snow year, but a lot could happen in February.

Look at the Glacier Point webcam at www.yosemite.org/vryos/
It's snowbound through May usually, but clears usually by early June or late May.

Stoves I don't know of any places that rent stoves. REI is in Fresno. There's a mountaineering shop in Curry Village in Yosemite Valley. I would just use one of of those pocket isobutane stoves that uses disposable cartridges (e.g., I have a Giga Power stove). It's the fuel container that worries airport officials, even if empty.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Alternate route

Postby pshea » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:52 am

Would we have better luck going north to Jack Main Canyon and back via Tiltill Valley?
pshea

Jack Main Canyon is OK

Postby dan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:07 pm

Hmmm. It should be OK to the lower (South) end of Jack Main Canyon in a normal or low snow year.

After that, it may be snow-bound, but at least you're in a canyon and can follow Falls Creek. Wilmer Lake (misspelled Wilma Lake on most maps) is probably as far as you can get, if that far. The PCT heads up Jack Main Canyon from Wilmer Lake, but I doubt you can go farther north

In other words, I think your limit will be 7000-8000 feet, but it varies from year to year. So far it's a dry year, but it's too early to tell.

The south side of Hetch Hetchy, Smith Meadow and Harden Lake are lower, but not as scenic.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking