Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tuolumne Meadows to Waterwheel Falls

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Tuolumne Meadows to Waterwheel Falls

Postby nekeel » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Hello,

We are planning an overnight hike from TM to Waterwheel Falls in a couple of weeks. We will be camping at Glen Aulin. Would appreciate any up-to-date trail info. if anyone has recently done the hike. Mosquitoes condition and any other relevant info. would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
nekeel

Re: Tuolumne Meadows to Waterwheel Falls

Postby balzaccom » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Any trail info you are going to get now will be out of date in three weeks. This is a light snow year. Mosquitoes seem to be pretty active right now below the snow line...but that will probably improve. And parts of the trail that are now wet and mushy will probably dry out by then, too.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:39 am

Just did this over Sunday/Tuesday, trail is bone dry, not so sure about creek crossings, but they should be easy to cross.
Mosquitoes were bearable, less than I expected but then all my clothing was Permathon'd, and it was cool and somewhat windy.
Shocking was the fact that we had zero bears to deal with. In that area that is unheard of.
You should have no problems with this trip at all.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby nekeel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. I just hiked Waterwheel Falls this past weekend and can further update trail conditions. As stated, trails were dry, and stream crossing (few) where easy. No need to even remove your boots to cross the streams. I can further add that the water spigot in the backpacker's campground at Glen Aulin is up and running. Furthermore, there are 2 bear boxes at the campground. There was only one really prominent rooster tail at Waterwheel Fall due to the dry year, but it was still worth going.
nekeel

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking