Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Early June Yosemite Backpack and Fishing

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Early June Yosemite Backpack and Fishing

Postby trobee » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:41 pm

A few years ago, my father and I camped for a couple days in Thousand Island Lake, the memory has spurred me to try it again. I will be graduating high school and want to go with my friends back there. Unfortunately, our schedules will only permit the trip from June 1st-15th so I'm not sure of the conditions (we previously camped in August). Will the High Trail hike be doable in June, or will there be snow on the trails? If this hike isn't feasable, is there any lake or river comparable to the Thousand Island/Garnett area in hiking distance and remoteness that would be doable in Yosemite?
trobee
First-timer
First-timer

Consider Merced Lake in June

Postby dan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:23 pm

No lake is as large as Thousand Island Lake and as pretty--I like all the little islands and the backdrop of the Ritter Range.

The Lake is high--over 10,000 feet and will be snowbound in June.

You may consider Merced Lake (7000 feet+) above and southeast of Little Yosemite Valley. It's lower, but not as pretty. In mid-summer it's overwhelmed by little brats running around who are staying at the tent cabins at Merced Lake High Sierra Camp, but they are not there in June.

It's a pretty lake with a big sheet of granite as a backdrop and it's a beautiful hike along the trail up Little Yosemite Valley. Lots of little pretty domes along the way and it's along the Merced River.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking