Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hetch Hetchy Conditions for April/07

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hetch Hetchy Conditions for April/07

Postby markgf74 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:04 am

I'm planning a trip to Yosemite April 13th through 18th and would like to see the Hetch Hetchy area. What are the conditions of the trails to Rancheria falls and to Smith Peak this year? Are crampons or snow shoes needed? How is the HH road? I'll be in a rental car. Also, where's the nearest store to buy fuel and such?

Thanks!
markgf74
First-timer
First-timer

Hetch Hetchy in April

Postby dan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:34 pm

See the thread "Lake Spring Hetch Hetchy Backpack" at
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242

It's looking better for May with the lack of snow (in fact the lowest level for 20 years). April is still early. You'll probably see hard-packed snow at the top of Smith Peak, since my map shows it at 7751'

Rancheria Falls is clear right now--it's only 5000' or so. It also has the advantage of facing south, so it gets a lot of sun. Above 6000' or so, expect snow (just an estimate, since it's not mid-April yet).

I don't think you need crampons. Snow shoes will help you from punching through when the snow gets soft late in the day.

The HH road is clear. There's nothing on the Hetch Hetchy Road as far as a town or store, especially this time of year. You can pick up food and gas at Groveland on Highway 120. Top off your gas tank!
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking