Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

August-Backpacking & Fishing Trip-Help/Suggestions Pleas

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

August-Backpacking & Fishing Trip-Help/Suggestions Pleas

Postby marcorlouis » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:23 pm

Hello. I am planning a backpacking trip for 5-6 guys this coming August. We are looking to start hiking on Thursday morning (about 8-10 miles or so) and then set up a campsite for 3 nights. We would like to maybe do some day trips to go fishing, exploring etc. from our main campsite. Has anyone done a similar trip like this? I would like to be as secluded as possible, if possible. I have bought books and searched on the internet, but can't find any "good" trips that would allow for a secluded backpacking trip and do some day fishing on the streams or lakes. Any help or suggestion with specifics (name sof trails, etc.) would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Marco-Phoenix, AZ
marcorlouis

Re: August-Backpacking & Fishing Trip-Help/Suggestions P

Postby dan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:15 pm

Isolated? Try the southeast part of Yosemite National Park (Clark Range), or the north country, north of the Tuolumne River

To access the Clark Range area, head in through Little Yosemite Valley and Merced Lake. The crowds don't die down until after Merced Lake. Or from Sierra National Forest roads and hike in through Isberg Pass or Fernandez Pass

To access the north country area (Jack Main Canyon, Stubblefield Canyon, and Kerrick Canyon, Matterhorn Canyon, all north of Tuolumne River), head in froum Tuolumne Meadows or from Highway 108 and hike south into the park into Dorothy Lake.

Lots of lakes and streams in both places, and both are isolated.

Stay away from the John Muir Trail (JMT) if you like isolation. I don't find the part of the PCT north of the Tuolumne River though.

Here's a list of streams and lakes, rated for fishing (it's 1921, but it still may be useful):
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/handb ... ml#streams
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Thanks.

Postby marcorlouis » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:57 pm

Thanks Dan for taking the time. I really appreciate it.
marcorlouis

Postby john » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:15 am

While not super isolated, Ten lakes fits the bill for the rest of your needs. I've done it twice on Labor Day and had great times. 6 mile hike in to the main lake but you could go to futher lakes to get more seclution. Fishing is great in the bigger lakes that have vegitation around them. Dry fly fishing in the evening produced a fish on almost every other cast one evening. :D
john
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby oakroscoe » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:37 pm

john wrote:While not super isolated, Ten lakes fits the bill for the rest of your needs. I've done it twice on Labor Day and had great times. 6 mile hike in to the main lake but you could go to futher lakes to get more seclution. Fishing is great in the bigger lakes that have vegitation around them. Dry fly fishing in the evening produced a fish on almost every other cast one evening. :D

Ten lakes definitely has good fishing and its one of my favorite places in yosemite. Unfortunately, its not isolated at all. Although, if you're willing to head further next, the furthest lake at the base of Colby Mountain should be pretty quiet.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking