Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mono Meadows to Tenaya Lake - First Timer

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mono Meadows to Tenaya Lake - First Timer

Postby Mtnpow » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:07 pm

Hello All,

I've read through many other threads on this forum, and I think I've figured out a great backpack route over 3 days and 2 nights in late August. We have all been out in the back country a few times in our lives, but none of us are seasoned backpackers. I think I need some help finding legal camping spots.

My plan is to start at Mono Meadows, take the second fork of the Panorama Trail to the intersection of the John Muir Trail. Is it legal to camp on the JM Trail in the Vernal or Nevada Falls area? Preferably, we would camp around this area on the first night.

We would then take Forsyth Trail/Clouds Rest Trail up to the top of Clouds Rest and camp on top up there or somewhere down below (if necessary). On the third day, we would then hike out via Forsyth back to Tioga Road.

Is this a viable plan?
Mtnpow

Re: Mono Meadows to Tenaya Lake - First Timer

Postby balzaccom » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:58 pm

You can't camp at Nevada Falls...you'll have to continue on to Little Yosemite Valley and camp there.

And I'm not sure about camping on Clouds Rest. No water, solid stone. You may want to camp down below on Sunrise Creek, where there are some campsites...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby RickM » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:07 pm

If you are starting at the Mono Meadow trailhead, I don't believe you are allowed to camp at Little Yosemite Valley on your first night. The trailhead map ( http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/u ... lheads.pdf ) has some further rules listed for that trailhead down in the little box ("No LYV, Sunrise Crk or JMT camping"). I believe all these rules are meant only for your first night campsite.

Rick M.
RickM
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:33 pm

The first legal camping is up in the meadows along Illilouette Creek, very close to the starting trailhead.

You would not WANT to camp in the area on the JMT you suggest. Tons and tons of hiker traffic.

Your itinerary would look like meadows along Illilouette Creek -> Little Yosemite Valley -> Clouds Rest (campsites at Sunset Creek) -> Tioga Road.

Or, for a long first day from the trailhead to 2 miles past LYV (all legal dispersed camping is 2 miles past the campsites at LYV), to the junction at Sunrise Creek, to Clouds Rest, to Tioga Road.

If I were going this route from Mono Meadow I would stay in the meadows near the creek, hike past LYV, stay at Sunrise Creek, day hike to Clouds and back and pack up to head up toward Cathedral Lakes then out.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Ten Lakes

Postby Mtnpow » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:43 pm

Does anyone know of a good website to download a .gpx file of the route from Whitewolf to Ten Lakes? This is the route we ended up selecting. I can't seem to find a website with a .gpx of the Whitewolf to Ten Lakes route.
Mtnpow

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking