Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Glen Aulin to May Lake, Mt Hoffmann

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Glen Aulin to May Lake, Mt Hoffmann

Postby Britjohn » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:43 pm

Anybody out there who can help.
How feasible is it to leave the Ten Lakes Trail where it switchbacks sharply south and cross between Tuolomne Peak and Mount Hoffmann to get to May Lake camp. Is there any trail at all?

Hiking from May Lake to Mount Hoffmann. Is there a reasonable route for HIKING - not mountaineering - up Mt Hoffmann. We're experienced hikers but not into scrambling/climbing.

Recommended maps (1:24,000) for the High Sierra Camps and suppliers of these.
Britjohn

Re: Glen Aulin to May Lake, Mt Hoffmann

Postby dan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:16 pm

Britjohn wrote:How feasible is it to leave the Ten Lakes Trail where it switchbacks sharply south and cross between Tuolomne Peak and Mount Hoffmann to get to May Lake camp. Is there any trail at all?.

I remember a fierce wall on the north ridge between Hoffman and Tuolumne Peak, but I'm not sure about that.

Britjohn wrote:Hiking from May Lake to Mount Hoffmann. Is there a reasonable route for HIKING - not mountaineering - up Mt Hoffmann. We're experienced hikers but not into scrambling/climbing.

I've hiked from May Lake (starting from the south shore) to Mount Hoffmann. It's cross-country, but nothing technical. Here's a picture, with Hoffmann himself in the picture--note the steep north face:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/the_yosemite_book/plate_25.html

Britjohn wrote:Recommended maps (1:24,000) for the High Sierra Camps and suppliers of these.

Here's an index of 7.5' topo maps. Off-hand it looks like you need Ten Lakes for the area around May Lakes.
http://www.yosemitestore.com/merchant/index.html
You can order the maps there (from the Yosemite Association) or direct from the USGS.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:49 am

Done both, and sticking to the trail from Glen Aulin to May Lake is actually pretty scenic and easy versus struggling through a cross country route.
I have BP'd to the top of Hoffman, and it is actaully not bad. there are a few spots on the trail where you really have to pay attention to the ducks/pick your route, but for the most part is is pretty well marked all the way up.
Once you leave May lake, there is zero water, so make sure you bring enough. We did Pizza for dinner, and Oatmeal for breakfast, so we minimized our dinner/breakfast water requirements and kept it for drinking versus cooking.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking