Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

May 2nd-5th Yosemite Valley Trip Question

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

May 2nd-5th Yosemite Valley Trip Question

Postby dakshdar » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:11 pm

Sorry this isn't a more exciting post than just questions about a trip I'm considering for early May. I'm sure most of you get tired of reading and answering these, but I'd bet you're the best source of information so... :)

My plan was to drive up from Los Angeles on the 2nd, arrive around noonish, take care of permit/registration at the YV Visitor Center (or the Wilderness Center if they have that open, the ranger I spoke to wasn't sure if it would be or not by then), eat, and hike in to Little Yosemite Valley Campground (LYVC). It sounds like there is parking near Curry Village for backpakers (is that right?).

From what I can figure that is 4.7 miles, or thereabouts, from where I'll start.

On the 3rd I was planning on doing Half Dome. Have my harness, zipper-screamer, and some carabiners for clipping into the (down) cables for security. That day looks like a little over 7 miles roundtrip from LYVC.

On the 4th my plan was Cloud's Rest from LYVC. A bit longer, 12 miles at least roundtrip.

Then, just up early on the 5th to hike out and drive to see friends in Santa Rosa the rest of the weekend.

My questions would be:

1. Will there be large amounts of snow on the ground at LYVC, Half Dome, or Cloud's Rest? From the other posts I've read, it sounds like there will be some snow at Half Dome, but that it is for the most part avoidable. It also sounds like LYVC should be clear of snow. However, it sounds like Cloud's Rest would have snow still, but just checking. If Cloud's Rest is going to be too snowy, is it work hiking 5-6 miles towards Bunnell Point on the 4th instead?

2. I'm going alone, but I figure I'll run into a good number of people there. I'd actually rather see people there so I'm not completely on my own, just in case you know. Is that likely the case (I'll have some fellow campers out there)?

3. How cold should I expect it to be? From what I've read, it would seem that daytime temps would be in the upper 60s, night temps in the low 40s.

4. Is any snow gear (shoes primarily) suggested?

5. Nothing special needed for hiking Cloud's Rest from LYVC?

6. Take Mist Trail or stick with JMT? My thoughts were to take the Mist Trail on the way in and stick to the JMT on the way out, to avoid having to get into the car while wet.

7. I read about how people feel other hikers/campers are respectful of people's property. So, it doesn't sound like I should be concerned with leaving my camp set-up at LYVC while on the Half Dome or Cloud's Rest hikes (with food/scented stuff in the bear lockers obviously)? I'd hate to have to break camp each day and carry all my stuff each time.

Any and all advice on any other things I might have missed would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to read and respond.
Last edited by dakshdar on Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dakshdar
First-timer
First-timer

Postby oakroscoe » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:49 pm

You're going to have to leave LA pretty early to make it to yosemite by noon.

Also, I don't think the cable for Half Dome will be up when you're going to be there. They generally don't put them up until mid may. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm

Here's a weather forecast: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapCli ... 000&zone=1
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: May 2nd-5th Yosemite Valley Trip Question

Postby dan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:58 pm

The cables are down until May. I've heard of people climbing up the down cables before they are installed--you have to know what you're doing. I wouldn't do it. Bring gloves--the metal cable is hard on hands.

You can see a picture of Cloud's Rest here:
http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/sentinelcam.html

It still has snow at the top. It's a lot of uphill--mostly in forest. Just follow the trail. The part near the peak is some rock scrambling (actually the part near the peak is probably still under snow).

I've never been on Bunnell Point. I say play it by ear.

You'll definitely have campers out there if you camp in LYV.

This time of year it'll get down to freezing at night (20s). You'll need waterproof boots and extra dry socks. You can waterproof your boots beforehand.

I always prefer the Mist Trail, even if I get wet. It's tricky walking down the wet steps with a backpack on, so take JMT if you want to stay dry.

You don't have to worry about your gear--leave it. It's safe in the backcountry. Food and bears is the problem--use a bear canister.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking