Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Anyone Hiked Tamarack Flat camp to Upper Yosemite Falls?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Anyone Hiked Tamarack Flat camp to Upper Yosemite Falls?

Postby dnymore » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:11 pm

This June I will stay at the Tamarack Flat campground. I would like to hike from Tamarack to Upper Yosemite Falls and down into the Valley.Looking at the Yosemite map, it looks about 8-9 miles one way. Is there such a trail???
dnymore

Re: Anyone Hiked Tamarack Flat camp to Upper Yosemite Falls?

Postby dan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:23 pm

There's such a trail and it's on area maps that show trails.

The first part of the trail heads southeast and is just the old, unpaved roadbed, closed to autos, to the Old Big Oak Flat Road.

After crossing Cascade Creek and before it reaches the rim, the trail leaves the roadbed and becomes a genuine trail heading east to El Capitan and Yosemite Valley.

If you have time, take a side trip to Eagle Peak (to the west ofYosemite Falls)--John Muir says it's the best view of the Valley and I agree.

It's a long day, without much water, and a lot of it is in forest.

P.S., a sign at the trailhead at Tamarack Flat Campground says this:
Foresta 6.4 miles
Yosemite Valley 16.2 miles

The latter includes the trail from the top of Yosemite Falls to the bottom.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dnymore » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:53 pm

Thanks so much for the info. 16 or so miles is not bad at all. I'm so excited about this hike. The last two years i hiked Half dome. Now I'm just going to try something different, like The El Capitan Trail hike!!!
dnymore

Postby Clamper » Sat May 05, 2007 4:59 pm

dnymore wrote:This June I will stay at the Tamarack Flat campground. I would like to hike from Tamarack to Upper Yosemite Falls and down into the Valley.Looking at the Yosemite map, it looks about 8-9 miles one way. Is there such a trail???

I've backpacked sections of that route on different occasions, but the latest trip was about a zillion years ago, so my memories might be a bit foggy, but here's my two cents anyway.

It seemed to me that the trail from the campground to Cascade Creek was very easy; a steady downward jaunt on an old road.

From Cascade Creek to the ridge above Ribbon Meadow was a tiring waterless haul nearly constantly uphill. I would expect water to be available at Ribbon Meadow, although late season, you might have to get lucky to find a puddle or two there. Overall, it felt more like ten miles to get to El Capitan from Tamarack Flat.

About 1/2 mile past El Capitan, there was was a small spring flowing year-round alongside the trail, otherwise, water might not be found again until you reach Yosemite Creek.

From El Capitan to Eagle Peak there is no significant elevation change, but I suspect that you will lose, then reclimb several hundred feet along the way. The side trip to Eagle Peak is no cake-walk, but if time allows, it is well worth the effort. By all means try it if you can manage the time.

As sore and tired as you think you are, the constant steep downhill from the top of Yosemite Falls to the valley will redefine sore knees for all but the hardiest people.

All together, I would consider this an ambitiuos and strenuous day hike. If I was to attempt it, I would make sure of the following:

1. All hikers must be in pretty good to excellent physical condition.
2. Bring plenty of water. Bring purifiction tablets.
3. Pack about 1000 to 1500 calories of lightweight food.
4. Leave early. Keep moving. There is a lot to see (El Capitan, Eagle Peak and Yosemite Falls) combined with many miles and significant elevation gains.
5. At least one person brings a camera. I guarantee postcard quality snapshots from the lightest cheapest diisposable camera.

I'll leave it up to you to work out the logistics of getting back to Tamarack Flat. But I will promise that you will find your sleeping bag that night to be beckoning you early, and you will arise the next day with a deeper understanding of the of the enriching qualities of some of the best views that our planet has to offer.
Clamper

Re: Anyone Hiked Tamarack Flat camp to Upper Yosemite Falls?

Postby dfrost7 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:42 am

I realize you asked the question long ago. But, I did this hike at night, with a crazy German guy, who did the first parapent from El Capitan summit. It was about 25 years ago, at least. I'm sure the trail is the same. It was a strenuous hike, mostly uphill once you got to the real trailhead - at the end of the Big Oak Flat Road, or whatever the name of the road where you start. Bring lots of water, since you gain a lot of altitude. If you're going in daylight, you'll really need it. So, we left around 7p.m., summit at around midnight, maybe earlier, had no way of knowing. We slept atop El Cap, woke up, he yelled "go back to the valley" right before he jumped. I had no idea how to do that. It was a real head scratcher trying to find the trailhead to pack all the stuff out to the Yosemite Falls Trail. I finally managed. The reason this was confusing was, El Capitan is bald. So, I had to find the little rock stack for the trailhead. It was early spring, so there was a lot of growth on the trail. I got a little lost a couple of times. This was a little scary because I was alone at this point, and a bit inexperienced. Lots of mosquitos in spring! The hike to Yosemite Falls was a breeze. Almost no uphill at all. The ascent to El Cap gave the altitude, now it was basically walking along the rim. Once I got on the established, but very low traffic trail, it was wonderful. It was great to do the Yo Falls Trail from the top down! All the pleasure without the punishment! I've imagined doing it again, but not alone.
dfrost7

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking