Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Sunrise Lakes/Clouds Rest in late September

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Sunrise Lakes/Clouds Rest in late September

Postby mozierfamily » Mon May 28, 2007 7:41 am

We're planning a Sunrise Lakes/Clouds Rest trip in late September. Does anyone know what kind of weather to typically expect? We've been up in Tuolumne Meadows several times in June/July/August but never Sept. Are services typically still available in Tuolumne Meadows around that time?
mozierfamily
Regular
Regular

Re: Sunrise Lakes/Clouds Rest in late September

Postby dan » Mon May 28, 2007 11:42 am

Weather is typically cold in the high country (down to 30s or high 20s at night). Last year was unusually warm--I just wore an open jacket at night. As a rule of thumb, look at the weather page for Yosemite Valley and subtract 10-20F for Tuolumne.

No services in late September. The gas station is still open, self-service credit card only. Tuolumne Meadows campground is open until sometime in late September. The store, lodge, and grill are closed.

People are still there and wandering around, but it's not crowded like it's in summer. I like the peace and quiet.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mozierfamily » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:54 pm

A friend of mine mentioned the possibility of thunderstorms in the late afternoon with lightning strikes. Does that make Clouds Rest a dangerous destination for September? Is there any way to gauge the weather that morning so as to choose an alternate day hike just in case?
mozierfamily
Regular
Regular

Postby dan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:43 pm

mozierfamily wrote:A friend of mine mentioned the possibility of thunderstorms in the late afternoon with lightning strikes. Does that make Clouds Rest a dangerous destination for September?
Afternoon storms are frequent in Summer in Yosemite. So if the clouds move in, don't go up Clouds Rest (or go down immediately).

I've been up Clouds Rest about a half a dozen times and never had to abandon the hike because of the threat of lightening. I had canceled other dayhikes to peaks though. So, watch the sky, especially for fast-moving clouds. Also, start early (I start before sunrise if I start from the Valley floor)--that way you're up there before noon and headed down before the afternoon storms, if any.

mozierfamily wrote:Is there any way to gauge the weather that morning so as to choose an alternate day hike just in case?
The weather service has daily forecasts for the Sierra Nevada. See www.noaa.gov. This information is also posted in the Visitor Center and hotel lobbys.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mozierfamily » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:50 am

Thanks Dan for the info. We'll be starting from Sunrise High Sierra Camp so we should have plenty of time to make it up and back.
mozierfamily
Regular
Regular

late September backpack trip in high country

Postby AYoung09 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Thanks to Dan for many great posts and information, and in my case, for what to expect temperature wise in the high country in late September. I am a modestly experienced backpacker but usually let others take the lead; for the 24th to the 27th of September I have a backcountry permit for Lyell Canyon, to lead two other work comrades on their first backpacking trip. They are fairly fit and enthusiastic, but will need to break in new boots and learn to pace themselves with 40-ish lb. backpacks.
Our route for now is a Figure-8 through Vogelsang HSC, down to Emeric Lake on our 2nd night, and then passing just above Lake Merced (if possible, we'll take day packs down and back) to head north again along the east side of Vogelsang (I'm away from my maps now), then back down Rafferty Creek on the 4th day. I think we can make camp each night below 9,600 feet so we should be able to have a camp fire (right?), and also, be in the trees to some degree. Am I naive to think this will ensure more tolerable evening temperatures?
Living in the Bay Area, we think of September almost as mid-summer, but having grown up in Colorado, I should know better. Would a "three-season sleeping bag" suffice at 9,500 feet, and is there a significant chance of freezing at those elevations?
Thanks,
AYoung of Oakland
Principle: Dynamic Equilibrium
AYoung09

Re: late September backpack trip in high country

Postby dan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:11 am

Oh it may freeze at night, but usually not more than that. I'd say the lows will be in the 30s or 40s. The days are nice. You need a jacket during the day, but you're not cold.

There's a chance of a dusting of snow that time of year. It usually melts away after a day, but it's no fun being out there when it's snowing. Watch the weather forecasts carefully and you'll be fine.

Lyell Canyon is a good first trip and it won't be crowded that time of year. You have a quick escape route if the weather turns bad. You are doing A LOT of downhill from Vogelsang to Lake Merced. You just have to go up again. I would rather explore up high around Vogelsang than drop all the way down to Lake Merced.

You should be able to have a fire below 9600'. I can't think of anything that's posted there off-hand.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AYoung09 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:50 pm

Thank you Dan, I knew I could count on a speedy reply. I know that is a lot of down and back up - I was thinking the trail on the east side of our lower "8" started up again a few 100s of feet above Merced, so we wouldn't have to lug our packs All the way down there. Still, we may stay high, and like you say keep our escape route nearby.
I certainly plan to keep an eye on the weather beforehand, but thanks for the summary of weather/temperatures. I should talk to the wilderness office soon and see about how easy/hard it will be at the last minute to switch to, say, May Lake or Ten Lakes as a trail head. When I set this up there wee lots of 'openings' on those THs.
Cheers
AYoung09

Postby johnstream » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:35 am

I'm doing that same loop 16-21 and the cold is my primary concern too.

I've been checking this over the last couple of weeks trying to guage what we'll be getting ourselves into.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?TMM

last 24 hours, low of 31, high of 67...Should be much colder once we hit Vogelsang.
johnstream
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking