Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

5 Day hike starting Tuolumne Meadows

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

5 Day hike starting Tuolumne Meadows

Postby grindad » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:29 pm

My adult son and I are planning to backpack 4 nights (September 2015) and was hoping to get some input on our preliminary plan.
Looking at maps and reading available information online we came up with the following:
Day 1 - Tuolumne Meadows (PCT) to Vogelsang 7.7 miles
Day 2 - Merced Lake 7.5 miles
Day 3 -Merced Lake to Sunrise 9.3 miles
Day 4 - Sunrise to John Muir Trail campsite over Clouds Rest 12.1 miles
Day 5 - JMT to Half Dome to Yosemite Valley 6.3 miles

We realize this route depends on getting permits, which may be difficult.

Thanks in advance,
grindad
First-timer
First-timer

Re: 5 Day hike starting Tuolumne Meadows

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:07 pm

So you're going up to Vogelsang, down to Merced Lake, up to Sunrise, over to Clouds Rest (no clue what campsite you are talking about being over Clouds Rest unless you are referring to the sites along Sunrise Creek?), down to Half Dome (presume you are also getting a Half Dome Permit as part of your wilderness permit - this is not guaranteed, by the way, you may or may not get one) and down to the Valley on the Mist Trail (the JMT would be a longer but less knee-killing route).

I think I would go to Sunrise from Vogelsang, over to Merced Lake, and back to LYV to day hike up to Half Dome. Less elevation roller coaster-ing.

I would camp at the high point near the junction of the JMT and the trail to Sunrise - it's a dry camp, but a great place for a sunset/sunrise.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bbmq » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:07 pm

That's an excellent itinerary, I'm going over Vogelsang Pass next week and look forward to heading down into the canyon. One thing to think about at the end of the first day is hiking up Vogelsang Peak which is on the way to the Pass.

You're mileage is off for the 5th day though and I think that's the mileage to 'Little' Yosemite Valley. From Sunrise Creek it's 2 1/2 miles to the end of Half Dome Trail, then a long scramble up the rocks and then up the cables and then back, then 3 1/2 miles to LYV and then 5 more miles to Yosemite Valley. So all told it's about 11 miles of trails with 8 1/2 miles of downhill.
bbmq
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 pm

I am going to file a minority report here....only because you are hiking from one High Sierra Camp to another.

Why? You will find more people at these camps than anywhere else in the backcountry---more people on the trails, too...and that also means more bears.

Why not hike a route that will let you experience a bit more peace and quiet? And at the very least, why not camp somewhere other than the HSTs?

I'd camp at Bernice Lake, for example, rather than Vogelsang. And there are better places to camp on almost every day of your hike rather than with the crowds at the HSTs.

Just my opinion, but following the crowds are not why we go hiking in the Sierra...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby forestplay » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:11 pm

balzaccom wrote:I am going to file a minority report here....only because you are hiking from one High Sierra Camp to another.

Why? You will find more people at these camps than anywhere else in the backcountry---more people on the trails, too...and that also means more bears.

Why not hike a route that will let you experience a bit more peace and quiet? And at the very least, why not camp somewhere other than the HSTs?

I'd camp at Bernice Lake, for example, rather than Vogelsang. And there are better places to camp on almost every day of your hike rather than with the crowds at the HSTs.

Just my opinion, but following the crowds are not why we go hiking in the Sierra...

I'm hoping for a trip similar to grindad's above. This might give some insight on what he's doing.

My plan is

Day1: Lyell Canyon TH, 5 miles up the canyon
Day2: to Vogelsang
Day3: to Merced
Day4: to LYV
Day5: Half Dome, then Happy Isles

My crew is fit but not experienced.

I have a gentle first day to acclimate to high altitude and hiking with backpack, first night in the wilderness.
Second day with a short but steep climb to a HSC. There we will have hot food for dinner and breakfast. This lightens their load since they won't really know how to pack light.
Third day mostly downhill to another HSC. More hot food.
Fourth day is long but mostly flat with great scenery.
Last day is the climb to Half Dome and out. I hope for a climatic day to finish the trip for these new comers.

What do you think?
-Bob
forestplay
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:21 pm

forestplay wrote:
I have a gentle first day to acclimate to high altitude and hiking with backpack, first night in the wilderness.
Second day with a short but steep climb to a HSC. There we will have hot food for dinner and breakfast. This lightens their load since they won't really know how to pack light.
Third day mostly downhill to another HSC. More hot food.
Fourth day is long but mostly flat with great scenery.
Last day is the climb to Half Dome and out. I hope for a climatic day to finish the trip for these new comers.

What do you think?
-Bob

Have you reservations for the meals? or do you already have reservations for the camps themselves and the meals are included? Do you already have the wilderness permit with the Half Dome permit added on? I'm only asking because you are looking at some of the most popular places to start/stay and the reservation period has already started for June - and reservable permits go in a flash, as do spots in the HSCs. The lottery for spots for the 2015 season in the HSCs was in September - November 2014. Meals only deposits are due by April 1. Without the reservation for the meals they will not serve you.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby forestplay » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:34 pm

AlmostThere wrote:
Have you reservations for the meals? or do you already have reservations for the camps themselves and the meals are included? Do you already have the wilderness permit with the Half Dome permit added on? I'm only asking because you are looking at some of the most popular places to start/stay and the reservation period has already started for June - and reservable permits go in a flash, as do spots in the HSCs. The lottery for spots for the 2015 season in the HSCs was in September - November 2014. Meals only deposits are due by April 1. Without the reservation for the meals they will not serve you.

Hey AlmostThere, thanks for the response.

I have been applying for wilderness permit but no luck yet. I can't make a reservation for meals until I know my dates. We are not sleeping at the HSC but in the nearby backpackers area. I've never actually done this but my understanding is that there is a space nearby for those without camp reservations.

My wilderness permit application request a Half Dome permit. I'm hoping to go sometime mid-July. I'm trying for a permit daily at this point.

-Bob
forestplay
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:39 pm

The permits are available 168 days in advance. If it's more than 168 days prior to the day you want to start hiking, that would explain why you aren't having any luck. Right now the full trailheads report shows that July 1, 2, and 3rd are booked for Lyell Canyon - all reservable permits are gone. That suggests to me that they have not yet started to allocate permits for the fourth or beyond. Or, perhaps they have not updated the website. Which is more likely - the date on the report is 1/16/15. My count of the weeks (24) suggests that they allocated permit slots for July 10th today, and will start allocating permits for the 11th tomorrow.

Try calling repeatedly until you talk to someone and reserve over the phone. If you want to start hiking on the 11th, get up and start calling bright and early tomorrow, 8 am Pacific Time. If that doesn't work out you can ask for a different trailhead (Cathedral or Sunrise would work) or just wait til the day before you want to start and walk in at 11 am at the wilderness office in Tuolumne Meadows. If that doesn't work, come back the following morning and try for permits that were reserved then not picked up - it doesn't state on the page, but I believe they start releasing those at 10 am (ask the ranger while you're on the phone trying to reserve).

It helps to have alternate trailheads (and alternate routes) planned, as well as being flexible with the dates, when you're trying to reserve a backpacking permit for Yosemite. Consider too as an alternate the Saddlebag Lakes loop, which is just a few miles outside the Tioga gate on the east side of the pass - high country that's easy to get to (a ferry lets you cut 3 miles off an already moderate to easy hike) and just as gorgeous as Yosemite. The permitting is through Inyo NF and much easier to come by.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby forestplay » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:55 pm

AlmostThere wrote:The permits are available 168 days in advance. If it's more than 168 days prior to the day you want to start hiking, that would explain why you aren't having any luck. Right now the full trailheads report shows that July 1, 2, and 3rd are booked for Lyell Canyon - all reservable permits are gone. That suggests to me that they have not yet started to allocate permits for the fourth or beyond. Or, perhaps they have not updated the website. Which is more likely - the date on the report is 1/16/15. My count of the weeks (24) suggests that they allocated permit slots for July 10th today, and will start allocating permits for the 11th tomorrow.

I found a NPS webpage the shows the Wilderness Permits Reservation Window. I am submitting according to this schedule. I found out tonight that not all my faxes are getting through. The machine at my office tries 3 times when it gets a busy signal and gives up. It's not obvious when it fails, so I missed several days in a row. Bummer but that's on me.

AlmostThere wrote:Try calling repeatedly until you talk to someone and reserve over the phone. If you want to start hiking on the 11th, get up and start calling bright and early tomorrow, 8 am Pacific Time. If that doesn't work out you can ask for a different trailhead (Cathedral or Sunrise would work) or just wait til the day before you want to start and walk in at 11 am at the wilderness office in Tuolumne Meadows. If that doesn't work, come back the following morning and try for permits that were reserved then not picked up - it doesn't state on the page, but I believe they start releasing those at 10 am (ask the ranger while you're on the phone trying to reserve).

It helps to have alternate trailheads (and alternate routes) planned, as well as being flexible with the dates, when you're trying to reserve a backpacking permit for Yosemite. Consider too as an alternate the Saddlebag Lakes loop, which is just a few miles outside the Tioga gate on the east side of the pass - high country that's easy to get to (a ferry lets you cut 3 miles off an already moderate to easy hike) and just as gorgeous as Yosemite. The permitting is through Inyo NF and much easier to come by.

These are truly great tips. Thank you! I am going to keep trying for Lyell Canyon for a few more days before switching to other locations.

-Bob
forestplay
Regular
Regular

Postby forestplay » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:15 pm

forestplay wrote:
I found a NPS webpage the shows the Wilderness Permits Reservation Window. I am submitting according to this schedule. I found out tonight that not all my faxes are getting through. The machine at my office tries 3 times when it gets a busy signal and gives up. It's not obvious when it fails, so I missed several days in a row. Bummer but that's on me.

So as to not take over this thread, I updated my permit status at this thread.

-Bob
forestplay
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking