Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Fires and Fishing

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Fires and Fishing

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:15 pm

I was hoping to be able to get into cathedral lakes this summer and have applied for permits so will see how that goes. I was just wondering if it was permitted to fish and have camp fires at this location.
Mike

Re: Fires and Fishing

Postby dan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:19 pm

Campfires are allowed under 9600', so you're just squeezing under the limit at Cathedral Lakes.

Fishing is allowed, with a California fishing license.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dmede » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:24 am

If I recall correctly from researching a trip to that area recently, Cathedral Lakes are in a fire exclusion zone, so no campfires even if you are below 9600' there. I think you have to get over the pass and then below 9600' before you can have a fire.

dave
Last edited by dmede on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmede
Regular
Regular

Postby cherokeedriver » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:35 pm

I just got back from Cathedral Lakes toady - I was told "no camp fires" at the lakes. However, when you get to the permit station look closey at the map, as you may be able to find a location just to the north of the outlet (west side) of the lake which is out of their no-fire zone. I walked around the lake a few time. On the south side of the lake near the outlet is a nice forrested area with some good flat spots for tents (no fire here for sure).

On the north side of the lake, again towards the outlet, a few hundred yards North of the outlet, are some very nice flat sandy areas, sitting between boulders. I think you could probably have fire in this area (check the map). There was plenty of dead wood around. Although there is no shade here and you'll have a walk to get water, there were far less mosquitos then near the lake. Also, you'll have a great view above lake Tenaya.

I was up at 5Am checking out the sunrise - near the outlet (again walk a few hundred yards to the North. While I could not see the sunrise from this location directly, the light spilled down into Tenaya lake before hitting me directly, it was awesome.

As for fishing, I didn't attempt it, in fact I noticed a "lack of jumping" at dusk and sunrise for whatever that's worth.

If I didn't care about camp fires, I think I would have made my camp at the Upper lake. The upper lake is smaller, but to my liking more beautiful.

I you want - I can email you a few pics.

Good luck,

Joe
cherokeedriver

Cathedral Lakes night-time temps

Postby adrianhoff » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:32 am

I'll be in that area in about a week. What were night-time temperatures like around Upper Cathedral Lake? I'm trying to decide which sleeping bag to carry. Thanks.
adrianhoff
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking