Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

5 days hike from Mariposa Grove

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

5 days hike from Mariposa Grove

Postby mendoza11 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:24 am

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Yosemite in September 2014. We are 3 guys with above average fitness and moderately experienced in backpacking (not in Yosemite). Our goals are to see some of the major attractions at park but also spend a bit of time in the back country.

The route we are contemplating is Mariposa Grove to Red Peak Pass to Clouds Rest to Half Dome and if we have time Yosemite Falls.

Questions:

1. I understand that this route is approximately 55 miles or 80 KM. Is this route realistic to complete in 5 days given the elevation change?

2. Is this a good route? Can you suggest a better route?

3. Any other suggestions for a first time trip to Yosemite?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
mendoza11

Re: 5 days hike from Mariposa Grove

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:39 am

You won't be able to camp anywhere in Mariposa Grove and I don't believe they will issue you a permit for those trails. The trail starting at Wawona to Chilnualna Falls is a better choice.

Whether the miles are realistic for you is a matter of your fitness and ability - I could do it, but I am hiking each weekend in the Sierra and backpack a lot. If you hike often at elevation it might be do-able.

Is it a good route? Do you like lots of forest hiking?

You'll need a Half Dome permit on your wilderness permit. You'll need bear canisters from Yosemite's approved list. I suggest visiting the Yosemite website to read about trailheads you can get permits from. If you are going in early September - I suggest trying to get a permit for a trailhead on Tioga Road that would allow you to do the High Sierra Camps loop - you don't need to stay at the camps themselves, but it's a beautiful loop just the same. Or do the Mono Meadow trailhead to Red Peak Pass and spend more time at the lakes soaking in the scenery.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mendoza11 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks for the Reply. A couple of follow up questions:

1. What do you think about starting from glacier point, doing the clarke range and finishing at half dome?

2. You said that "If you hike often at elevation it might be do-able." Is this comment referencing physical effort that needs to be put forth or altitude sickness or both?

3. Is altitude sickness a concern at red peak pass?

If you could let me know it would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your help.
mendoza11

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:44 pm

Do you know how you will get back to the car if you start from Glacier Point? Or are you going to reserve a ticket one way on the tour bus? Not sure I would want to hike back up there at the end of a backpacking trip. It's either steep (four mile trail) or long (Happy Isles to Nevada Falls, to Panorama trail, back down to Ilillouette, back up to Glacier Point) to walk it. No free shuttles take you to GP.

Some people have issues with elevation. Some people have issues with fitness. Some fit people overpack their packs and go to elevation and find out that it's harder than they think. Lots of people think they can do lots of miles without realizing that trails full of granite hammer away at their bodies as they hike along with heavy packs under the higher-elevation sun that bounces back up from the granite. It all depends on how careful you are with sun protection, hydration, and your level of fitness, combined with your response to elevation, combined with how much you've backpacked before. If you just got the shoes, the backpack and the gear, you knocked your chances of doing the proposed trip without suffering to pretty low lows... if you've backpacked with the gear you're taking, have shoes you've hiked in without issues 10+ miles a day, and you know to increase water intake to appropriate levels to keep from dehydrating, you'll probably be fine. I've taken people from all ends of the spectrum - the less self aware promise they are prepared and then have issues. The folks who are a little less daring with limit-pushing do better.

Elevation issues are a concern for anyone, any time they go over 6,000 feet - I've seen people develop mild symptoms lower - it pays to be aware of the symptoms and what to do if they get serious. If you've never been to elevations higher than 7,000 - yes, absolutely, it is a concern on red peak pass and the approach to it.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mendoza11 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate the feed back!
mendoza11

Postby balzaccom » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:36 pm

If I wanted to do the trip over Red Peak Pass, I would park the car at Mono Meadows trailhead (much easier to get a permit) and do the hike from there. Straight up Illilouette Canyon, over the pass, down the Merced, and the over to Mono Meadows again. I think that's about 50 miles, and you'd see some lovely country.

I agree that starting up Chilnualna Falls with a full pack is enough to slow me down a bit...and the trail from there over to the Illilouette Canyon is not particularly scenic in a lot of places. You'd be adding a bunch of miles and climbing that would be easy to avoid by using Mono Meadows.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mendoza11 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:43 pm

Thanks Balzacom. Any thoughts on altitude? I am becoming increasingly concerned about this.
mendoza11

Postby balzaccom » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:03 pm

Thoughts on altitude:

1. Stay hydrated~more than you cAn imagine. It's dry out here...and the altitude sucks water it of you.

2. Spend the night before you start hiking at 4,000 feet or higher ~it will help you body adjust.

3. Take it easier the first day) thi is why I like the Mono Meadows trailhead, because the first mile or so is downhill and then it's pretty easy up Illilouette Canyon...

4. Stay hydrated.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:13 am

balzaccom wrote:If I wanted to do the trip over Red Peak Pass, I would park the car at Mono Meadows trailhead (much easier to get a permit) and do the hike from there. Straight up Illilouette Canyon, over the pass, down the Merced, and the over to Mono Meadows again. I think that's about 50 miles, and you'd see some lovely country.

I agree that starting up Chilnualna Falls with a full pack is enough to slow me down a bit...and the trail from there over to the Illilouette Canyon is not particularly scenic in a lot of places. You'd be adding a bunch of miles and climbing that would be easy to avoid by using Mono Meadows.

This!!!! It is a great trip, one of my favorites.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking