Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Proposed trek, need to change plans due to fire

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Proposed trek, need to change plans due to fire

Postby rbrosko » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Four Days and Three Nights
Tuolumne Meadows down the John Muir Trail to the Pacific Crest Trail
Passing Donahue Pass, Waugh Lake and Billy Lake
At Gem Lake head northward towards Gem Pass to Parker Pass and then out to Dana Trailhead
Any experience with this? Thoughts?
rbrosko
Regular
Regular

Re: Proposed trek, need to change plans due to fire

Postby balzaccom » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:40 pm

It's a great route. We have photos of a lot of this area on our website in the destination section.

You're missing the best part of the JMT by leaving the trail before you get to Thousand Island Lake...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Proposed trek, need to change plans due to fire

Postby Dave_Ayers » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:57 pm

I've done that semi-loop both directions. I agree with balzaccom, it's a scenic hike and the 1000 Island/Garnet area is superb if you can swing the mileage or add another day.

Koip Pass on the way out is ~12,250. The switchbacks north of the pass are something to experience. It's well worth it to bag Koip Peak (~12,962) which is only ~700 feet of climbing up from the pass. You might also climb Kuna Peak (13,002) from Koip if you have the energy.

I didn't catch when you are starting out. Hopefully the smoke will have subsided by the time you are up there.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking