Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First trip to Yosemite! ! help please!!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First trip to Yosemite! ! help please!!

Postby sshock517 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:12 am

Okay so spring of 2015 late May early June I will be doing a 3 day 2 night trip onto yosemite! I'm from the east coast so this is my first time out west. What would be a nice like 3 mile.hike in to set up camp back country? I'd love to do half dome just not sure about the lottery. What are the must sees in the park and what is the highest peak that doesn't require climbing gear?

Thanks so much
SS
sshock517

Re: First trip to Yosemite! ! help please!!

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:45 am

You have some unrealistic goals, but that's ok, you just need to read the park page on wilderness permits, regulations and trailheads.

The highest walk up peak is not on a backpacking route. You have to day hike Dana from the Tioga gate. It is about six miles round trip from 10,000 feet to 13500+.

The shortest trip for an overnight is to May Lake, a couple miles from the trailhead. Most trailheads have a four mile rule - no camping within four miles of the trailhead.

Half Dome requires permits and the cables need to be up - they post information on the website about this. It is a strenuous 16 mile day hike with a lot of climbing. Right now the area is closed to overnight camping due to fire damage. Check the website for updates prior to arriving in the park next year.

The must sees for a first timer are the valley, the Tuolumne area and Mariposa grove. This is impossible to put together in a backpacking trip. I suggest getting a campsite five months prior to your trip (reservations go fast) and saving backpacking for another visit. There are enough front country wonders to keep you busy for several weeks without it.

You need to understand symptoms of elevation sickness, as this can be a serious problem for some.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:56 am

As usual, AT has done a good job answering the question.

I would just add one more note---that May and early June are usually months where we still have snow in most of the park. The lower elevations, like Yosemite Valley and Hetch-hetchy, will not have snow on the ground, but most of the park is much higher that than. We've had snow when backpacking in June at 6,000 in Yosemite---and almost all of the park is higher than that. Tioga Pass is almost 10,000 feet, and that road rarely opens before the middle of June.

All this to say that you will need to plan your visit with the weather and conditions in mind. And you will find that some of your activities will be limited by the conditions in May and June.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sshock517 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:32 am

AlmostThere wrote:You have some unrealistic goals, but that's ok, you just need to read the park page on wilderness permits, regulations and trailheads.

The highest walk up peak is not on a backpacking route. You have to day hike Dana from the Tioga gate. It is about six miles round trip from 10,000 feet to 13500+.

The shortest trip for an overnight is to May Lake, a couple miles from the trailhead. Most trailheads have a four mile rule - no camping within four miles of the trailhead.

Half Dome requires permits and the cables need to be up - they post information on the website about this. It is a strenuous 16 mile day hike with a lot of climbing. Right now the area is closed to overnight camping due to fire damage. Check the website for updates prior to arriving in the park next year.

The must sees for a first timer are the valley, the Tuolumne area and Mariposa grove. This is impossible to put together in a backpacking trip. I suggest getting a campsite five months prior to your trip (reservations go fast) and saving backpacking for another visit. There are enough front country wonders to keep you busy for several weeks without it.

You need to understand symptoms of elevation sickness, as this can be a serious problem for some.

Thank you for the prompt response! Agreed with the campsite that being said is there one particular campground that will kind of center us in an area where the small trips are close by? Also you think better to go mid to late June due to weather?

Lot to learn easy coast no where near as big as Western parks
sshock517

Postby sierrarec » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14 am

Sshock,
If you change your dates to late June, consider hiking into Cathedral Lakes and staying one night and hiking out. Cathedral Lakes is 3.5 miles in and does have a moderate climb, so consider fitness level,. However this hike will provide you with two fantastic Yosemite Lakes, Great photo opps, and I hear the fishing is good at times. Late June, snow will be still be a concern if we have a nice winter, but if I have one short hike to do this is the one I would recommend. On the backside of Lower Cathedral Lakes you can also hike back and get a great view of Tenaya Lake and there is a waterfall in early spring and summer that runs off the face from Lower Cathedral.
Good Luck with your travel plans.

Sierra Rec
Sierra REC
www.sierrarec.com
#goexploring
sierrarec
First-timer
First-timer

Postby Recycling1991 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:27 pm

mid-May is a fantastic time to visit Yosemite valley. The dogwoods are blooming and the waterfalls have full flow ( assuming avg weather). If camping in the valley, upper pines is a good option. Note that the Only good thing about camping in Yosemite valley is that you are in Yoseemite. Have low expectations of the camping; crowded, smokey, bears, and unkept facilities. But to hike half dome or the amazing mist trail, upper pines is a great location. Get an early start to avoid crowds.

More on high country tomorrow.
Recycling1991
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking